Carolina's Fleet Dog Days trip to Little Washington

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Dog days trip

Post by Ron Turner »

As I recall, the Washington trip was thrown out as a "we have not done it before" kind of thing. The devil is in the details. Probably why we have not done it before. I tend to "plan" from Oriental.
35 to 40 miles on a hot August day is a lot to ask. 50 is approaching "delivery status. I think the Washington trip is a 4 day minimum kind of trip. Bath is 15 miles beyond Indian Is. I don't think Bath fits the 3 day window either.
I'll continue to"work" the Washington trip and when it gets too hard, we'll go to Lou's and drink to a good plan.
Ron Turner
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Sounds Good Captain

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I do hope we can make this one.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Pete

New Venue

Post by Pete »

I spoke w/Andy and Lou this weekend. A suggestion/question needs to be posted. Due to work issues, Scott, Lou, and I, can not make a long trip (and then do the long trip in Oct.) A few ideas have been suggested:

1. Keep the trip as is?
2. Make the trip a weekend there (Pete/Lou can leave a boat and pick it up the following week.)
3. Pick another location?
  • New Bern
    Cape Lookout
    Broad Creek
    Beaufort
    Day say, with pot-luck dinner in town?
    ____ other ideas _____

I would like to keep planning this trip, like mentioned--the devil is in the details. But I would like to hear from others about how they feel if we change the venue?
Parfait's Provider

I am flexible and, as always, a likely candidate to not make it at all. I do think that these events keep some of us at least thinking about going and if we weren't doing that, we'd be thinking about other things that won't help the market for CDs.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Washington Cruise

Post by Dick Turner »

Ron,
Count S/V Mystical as part of the fleet for the Washington trip.
Over night in Goose Creek is a viable option. Just where is Indian Island? Don't have my charts here at home.
Dick. :D
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Indian Island

Post by Ron Turner »

Dick,

Just as the ICW enters the River. Indian Is is to the left.

[img]http://home.coastalnet.com/~rturner/indian%20island.JPG[/img]
Ron Turner
Parfait's Provider

New CD Owners

Judith Duke and Warren Stewart, new CD 270 owners from McCotter's Marina, might join the fleet for dinner on Saturday evening. Do we think we are pot lucking or going for something more upscale?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Judith

One half of new CD 270 owners

Post by Judith »

Thank you, Ken, for the kind mention. And hello to the rest of yall! I think Warren's already introduced himself, by way of asking for information on the plumbing system(s). (There are several other systems we need to work on, so I'm sure we'll have more questions in future :) )

We're hoping the trip to Washington does prove feasible, as we'd love to meet other Cape Dory folk.

And a good evening to all.

Judith
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Little Washington dinner

Post by Ron Turner »

Ken, Judith

Judith : Welcome to the world of CD's. You may be able to help us with a recommendation for dinner out in town if our invitation to WYCC does not materialize. If we get to dock at WYCC we can eat at the marina (not cheap but very convenient).
Also you may be of assistance with the navigation into Broad Creek.

[img]http://home.coastalnet.com/~rturner/menu2.jpg[/img]
Ron Turner
Parfait's Provider

Good Enough to Eat

Looks like it is good enough to eat and complete with slaw! No hush puppies? With onion?

How much water is there going into Broad Creek on a bad day? Is the channel dredged to 5 ft or more?

http://tinyurl.com/euuq9
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
marilou

WITH YOUR CD270...

Post by marilou »

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT 5' DRAFT. WELCOME TO THE FLEET.
Judith

Broad Creek and dinner

Post by Judith »

Thanks for the welcome, Ron. And thank you, Marilou, regarding Broad Creek navigation!

I'm handing off to Warren for further input on the navigation question. I've been sailing all of a half dozen times, now, while he did some sailing growing up in New England. I will say Broad Creek has never seemed problematic, even with me at the tiller. But I don't know how much that has to do with the 270's 3' draft (centerboard up). . .

As for dining, we'll be down there this weekend and can ask folks at the marina. So far, we've only gone for lunch at Backwater Jack's, across from the public boat ramps: it's pleasant but mainly burgers + some nice salads. Otherwise, we've just imported food from home; the alcohol stove is only just now rehabbed and ready to be replaced on board (Warren found a high G banjo string perfect for cleaning clogged orifices, by the way :) ).

Cheers.
Judith

Second thought

Post by Judith »

I noticed one of the proposed alternate--presumbably closer (for the New Bern-Oriental based members)--destinations is Broad Creek. I expect that's not "our" Broad Creek, which is basically the same as WYCC. Where is the one that was referred to?

Just curious.
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

I had mentioned Broad Creek which is where Ron Turner and Andy Denmark both live. I was joking thinking maybe Ron could provide us all with breakfast in bed. It is a nice location though with good anchorages. It's located about 7 miles NE of Oriental on the north side of the Neuse River.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Broad Creek, etc.

Post by Warren S »

Marilou is quite correct - McCotters has mooring depths of 6' minimum, and the approach channel is short and well marked. There is a shoal of sorts on the north side of the entrance, but I've never even seen breakers there.

Other than that, I'm pretty new at this... so I can only report what the chart says.