Bow water tank for CD 26

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vern/Lenore Durkee

Bow water tank for CD 26

Post by Vern/Lenore Durkee »

Hello--We are enjoying our dear CD 26. We have named her now and the whole family loves to sail her. We received many very helpful ideas about mooring. After weighing all the suggestions, we decided on a one line-to-buoy system--but with an exceptionally strong line with, of course, chafe protection and it seems to work well. Thank you all for helping.

Now we have another question. A fellow sailor (not a CD owner, but very experienced) said that if we filled the bow tank, the boat would ride a little better. We haven't filled this tank since we purchased the boat early this year, but wondered about his comment. Is it necessary? If we were to fill it, how does one go about cleaning the tank first? This is a 20-year old boat with probably a lot of gunk in the tank. Would Clorox work OK? I suppose we'd have to fill the tank, add disinfectant, and then pump it all out again (a job in itself) and refill with fresh. I wouldn't consider the water potable, but certainly clean enough to wash hands and maybe dishes. Any ideas? Thank you again. --Lenore Durkee
Tod Mills

Peggie Hall has just the thing for you...

Post by Tod Mills »

....she is a well known authority on heads and water systems and she has written a book about it, which includes the answer to your question about cleaning the tank/system. She's a great lady!

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=31

A lot of boats like a bit of weight in the bow, especially when beating, as it reduces slamming.[/url]
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
bottomscraper

Starbrite Aqua Clean

Post by bottomscraper »

We had very good luck with Starbrite Aqua Clean. When we got Mahalo she had some grunge growing in the tanks. Clorox didn't seem to help much even after a few tries. Aqua Clean really did the trick. It says to add to the tank and then go out sailing to stir it up. Since we were on the hard we just left it in there for a few days and rinsed it out a few times. I'm not sure what "Quaternary ammonium compound solution" is but it worked wonders!

Link to product page:
http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1193

Link to Material Safety Data Sheet:
http://www.starbrite.com/msdssheets/323 ... -18-05.pdf
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
chase

cleaning product

Post by chase »

Quaternary ammonium compound is what many dairies use for cleanup of milk handling systems. Buy it at a farm supply store if you live in farm country.

Chase
chase

cleaning product

Post by chase »

Quaternary ammonium compound is what many dairies use for cleanup of milk handling systems. Buy it at a farm supply store if you live in farm country.

Chase
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

PW or Holding

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Lenore,

I guess it is a PW tank.

With Heather Ann, I put about a cup of bleach per 30 gal. (tank not quite full) and sloshed it around while sailing for a few days.

Drain and refill once or twice (to suit your taste) and go sailing :D
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
JimL

CD26 bow tank

Post by JimL »

I took the tank out of my CD26 and cleaned it. It's not that difficult to remove, and it gives you a chance to clean the hull under that area (I like having the boat smell clean).

I found some separation of the tabbing in the tank compartment, so I reglued with West Epoxy and set blocks in place while it cured.

Hope this helps.

Regards, JimL
shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

does the CD26 actually ride better?

Post by shawn382 »

Has anyone determined whether or not the CD26 sails differently with the water tank topped off? I would only be filling it for any advantages in sailing performance and not the intended purpose, water for the sink, and would have to drain it at the end of the season.
Shawn McEachern
CD 26
Marc Theriault

Yes, it should be better

Post by Marc Theriault »

Shawn,

When i had my Alberg 22, i add 100 pounds of lead in the bow. My water tank had been remove by the previous owner. I found that the motion of my A22 (similar to CD22) was more natural in the waves.

Try it...If it's not working for you...Empty the tank.

Marc
mike a

Post by mike a »

Jim

Did you sell your boat.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Water tank in Bow of CD26

Post by George Shaunfield »

Vern,

Whether you need to fill the tank would depend on your loading of the boat. Have someone take a picture from the side of the boat when it is loaded as you would normally sail - motor, gas tank(s) full, provisions, crew in the cockpit, etc. By looking at the bootstrip you will likely find that the your CD26 floats with the bow a little higher than the stern. If so, then fill the water tank. If not, don't. Your boat will sail more efficiently if it is flat rather than bow up/stern down.

When I had a Yamaha 9.9hp 4-stroke, 8 gallons of fuel, water tank nearly full, and just me in the cockpit the bow was up a few inches. Now I have a lighter motor and a little more gear stowed under the V-berth and it is level.

CD26's are great boats - much roomier than the 25, more head room than the 27, and sturdy enough to take offshore. All CD's seem to be great sailing boats.

Good sailing,
George
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

CD26 water tanks

Post by drysuit2 »

I ask my self the same question every season. In past years I’ve sailed her with a full tank. I sailed my 26 all this winter with an empty water tank. I’m sailing her now with a half filled tank. I really don’t see any appreciable difference.

I always wondered why the water tank isn’t located lower and deeper in the hull. Where it might create a ballast effect, and lower the center of effort. The thought has crossed my mind more than once to remove the tank and use it for storage. Or, to replace it with a lower profile tank. I personally think the water sloshing around in a half full tank does more to upset the boats trim than an empty tank. I mostly day sail, so I don’t need to drag all that water weight around with me. And I have long since given up on drinking any water from that 20 year old tank. I do store about 5-10 gallons of bottled water, in gallon jugs on board. Two in the bilge, and four under the side berths. [2 on Sbd, 2 on Prt].

Hope this helps.