Carolina's Fleet - Summer Trip to Ocracoke

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Carolina's Fleet - Summer Trip to Ocracoke

Post by Scott MacCready »

Just wondering how many of us are heading over this weekend? Want to make sure to bring along enough provisions. I plan on anchoring Thursday night off of the Oriental Yacht Club or grabbing a space at the town dock if it's available. Scott
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Scott,

What time are you heading up the ditch? We plan on being there. Are you bringing provisions for everyone? Really apppreciate that!

Ken
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Solo

Post by Ron Turner »

Scott,

May be going solo there, how about you?
Do not know yet if wife and granddaughter will drive over or go with me or skip it all together.
Ron Turner
Pete

Half Dozen... ;-)

Post by Pete »

Looks like we might have half a dozen boats on this trip. Time will tell for sure, but thus far I know of 5 boats going, with a total of 7 possible.

:D

Bellus will be there! We are schedule to depart Oriental #1 at 7-ish Friday AM. We will be in our Marina from 7PM on, the night before, loading stores aboard. Anyone in the area, is welcome to visit.

Pete
Scott MacCready

Ken, I'll be heading up from here in Beaufort on Thursday sometime...probable leaving in the early afternoon to ride the tide up the first few miles. If you want to make the trip in tandem, let me know what time works for you, I'm flexible. Will you be getting a slip in Oriental?
Ron, I'll be going stag also. Should we look for you at the mouth of Broad Creek on Friday morning?
Hope we get a good turn out. Anyone else?
Parfait's Provider

Scott,

If we go, we will be leaving our slip early afternoon as well, but I am beginning to think we won't be going at all. Crew is arranged, but the Capt. seems to be running out of steam after a weekend in the mtns. Maybe I'll get an attitude adjustment and make a go of it, but don't bet much on it.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Post by Dick Turner »

:cry: Fleet,

S/V Mystical will not be making the trip this year. Grandkids (4) will be in town for the week. Have a safe trip with favorable winds.

Capt. Dick
Scott MacCready

Looks like Tropical Storm Beryl won't be a factor for us this weekend. It's projected path looks like more of a threat to Cape Cod than it does for Cape Hatteras.
Sorry to hear Dick and Carol won't be along, and Ken, I'm hoping you find some rejuvenating potion so you and Shelly can join us. Guess time will tell.
For those of us that are going, are the state docks reservable or first come first serve?
Pete

1st Come, 1st serve

Post by Pete »

The State Dock is 1st come 1st Serve. You can call them and double check.?
Pete
Parfait's Provider

Parfait out of the Running

I have cancelled Parfait's visit to Ocracoke this weekend. Cap'n Ken is not up to it and I don't trust weather systems that seem to be leaving Cape Hatteras. My all-male, three-generation crew is disappointed and I am very disappointed, but I think my decision is prudent given all the factors. And besides, I'll get to take Shelley to the American Dance Festival tomorrow evening.

Hope you all have a safe trip and lots of fun.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Bill Michne

Mintaka stuck at the dock

Post by Bill Michne »

The forecast for SW wind for three days means the water on Pierce Creek will likely not allow Mintaka to get back to her slip, as I don't like to use the engine to push her keel through 8" of mud. However, I'll check out the town dock in Oriental Thursday evening to meet any CD'ers who might be there.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Scott MacCready

But landon said it was just dredged...Sorry you can't make it but we'll see you thursday.
Parfait's Provider

TD #3

I see it no where else, but WUNC-TV just reported another tropical depression off the NC coast.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
chase

wish I could make it

Post by chase »

The family and I just wrapped up a bunch of days on the water, and I'm back in the mountains now. I left the boat at Northwest Creek Marina up the Neuse towards New Bern.

Hopefully I'll catch up with the fleet some time this fall. I enjoyed meeting Ron and Andy this summer and almost caught up with Scott back in June.

I had some of the best sailing to date this summer in a fresh breeze from Broad Creek to Ocracoke, I'll never forget it.

Have a Great Cruise!

Chase
chase

storm activity

Post by chase »

Ken,

The hurricane center only lists Beryl (pronounced Berle, apparently) and Danielle in the Pacific.

Hope there's nothing else brewing. Inevitable, I guess.

Here's a good link for the National Hurricane Center. It is a good one to add to your weather links for those of you that don't have it already. The discussions are full of good info, I think.

Chase