Carolina's Fleet Dog Days trip to Little Washington

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Carolina's Fleet Dog Days trip to Little Washington

Post by Ron Turner »

The Carolina's Fleet trip to Washington NC is scheduled for 25/26 August. One of the options being considered is an overnight at the Washington Yacht and Country Club. Space is limited there and in order to keep the option open we need to have a boat count early on. If you think you might make the trip let me know by 10 August. You may EM, PM or call to let me know. The default option is at the city dock.
Ron Turner
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...nudge...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

...bump...bump....
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

bump.....bump.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

...nudge....
Pete

Add one to your fleet...

Post by Pete »

Bellus and crew will be there...
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Dog DAys

Post by Ron Turner »

...and baby makes three.
Ron Turner
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Make it two Ketches

Post by Scott MacCready »

Or is it Ketchi? Anyway,I'll be there.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I think we will be there.

Ken and Shelley
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Overnight at Indian Island?

Post by Ron Turner »

For those going, what do you think of two short days going over. It is 50 miles from Oriental to Washington. Scott can do that alone and uphill (both ways). For the rest it may be a stretch in August. Indian Island is about 20 miles from Washington. I envision an early raft up and happy hour then breakout to anchor as weather dictaes. Early morning run to Washington. Dinner out at WYCC if we get there or in town if not. Sunday Captains choice for going home or to city docks or Bath or Bellhaven or where ever.
Ron Turner
Parfait's Provider

Indian Island?

Ron,

Where do you anchor at Indian Island? Looks a little thin unless you drop between the island and Herring Pt. Is there much traffic through there at night?

Click here for NOAA chart of Indian Island area [Author's note: Thanks for the editing!]

Are you thinking we would anchor out on Friday, get to Washington on Saturday, and then wander back home as we see fit from there?
Last edited by Parfait's Provider on Jul 25th, '06, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Indian Is

Post by Ron Turner »

Ken,

I've only anchored there once. Do not recall it being too busy with barge traffic. Yes calm condition anchorage is between the point and the island. There is a more protected creek nearby. Have never been there.
Ron Turner
Scott MacCready

Re: Overnight at Indian Island?

Ron Turner wrote:For those going, what do you think of two short days going over. It is 50 miles from Oriental to Washington. Scott can do that alone and uphill (both ways).
Ron, that's a long trip. I'm still not fully recovered from this past weekend. I think it may be best to spend at least one night near Oriental where I can get a good night's sleep and a good hot breakfast before heading home. Say, Broad Creek? :wink:
Parfait's Provider

I am thinking of this more as a cruise than a weekend: three days of casual boating to Washington via Broad Creek and Indian Island, a day or two there, and three more back to Beaufort maybe via Bath and/or Ball Creek. Anyone else up for a more leisurely trip?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Scott MacCready

If I can get my work schedule set up, I should have 7 days off from Thurs to Wed. That would be easier on both the Capt & the boat. I'd much rather sail casually rather than have to race the clock by motoring the whole way.
Pete

Little W. Schedule

Post by Pete »

Ron (and others),

I guess when we started thinking about this trip, the feeling was that it fit into our weekend time frame. I can add a day (Friday or Monday), but will that really be enough time? What is your thinking about the actual schedule, as it looks today??

Thanks,

Still not retired, Cptn' Pete
Parfait's Provider

Is Bath Easier?

I wonder if Bath would be a better destination for those who have to work for a living. I have done Dowry Creek to Beaufort in about 10 hours with a strong breeze off the port quarter, but the other direction wouldn't have been as much fun. Those of us who have the time could make it leisurely and I'd think that those who don't ought to be able to do it in three days.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC