Non-skid deck color?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Non-skid deck color?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have always been under the impression that the original color of non-skid decks on Cape Dories was beige. My boat came with sky blue non-skid and I promptly painted it beige, thinking I was restoring it to its original. I have since seen two other CD25s that all had sky blue non-skid decks. So, I'm left with the question, what was the original non-skid deck color Cape Dory used on its various models, and did it change at some time? By the way, I did check the archives before posting this. Some people said blue, others beige, but I really couldn't make any rhyme or reason out of it.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
carldoc

Blue

Post by carldoc »

My 1975 CD25 non skid color is sky blue as well. The only color I have seen has been re-painted. Personel preference I guess, but I like the Blue. More traditional look IMHO.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Stan W.

Depends how old

Post by Stan W. »

Cape Dory went over to buff (beige) nonskid in about the 1977 or 1978 model year. Before that it used blue. Personally, I prefer the buff. I find it easier on the eye and evocative of painted canvas decks on wooden boats. For me, the blue is a little garish and evokes nothing except the early years of fiberglass boat building. Cream and gray are also good choices for nonskid.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I prefer beige myself, just seems to fit better with the CD style. If I had bought one with blue decks I would have done as you did and painted them beige.

But to each their own, one friend of mine commented once that he didnt like CDs because they were so "brown and drab" looking (ie- lots of wood, beige decks and the most common canvas on CDs is brown or tan).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dick Villamil

non skid deck color

Post by Dick Villamil »

My older Morgan 24 had blue as did my 1976 Typhoon - Blue for a deck is HOT HOT HOT - both to walk on and below. Therefore on both boats I painted it with Pettit Sand color - it contrasts nicely with the off white and does not get hot while delineating the nonskid from the rest of the deck.
Carl Thunberg

Thanks, guys

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Thanks for all your responses. Stan, that's good to know about the 1977-78 cutoff date. Having gone ahead and painted the non-skid beige, I have to admit I like it a lot more, so I'll keep it, even if it's not authentic to the original. Mine's a 1975. Thanks again.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton