clogged cockpit scuppers on CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Eppler

Post by John Eppler »

The 2 cockpit scuppers on my CD 25 have come up clogged. I keep the boat in the water in the Chesapeake Bay year round. I have tried blasting them with a hose, and thrusting a coat hanger through them from the cockpit without success. I am beginning to wonder if marine growth has clogged them from the water line. Any suggestions?
carldoc

Post by carldoc »

I had the same problem last month. We hauled the boat and they were so clogged and seacocks were so bad we just replaced them. This is a poor design on the boat with 90 degree elbows in both drains. I tried everything. good luck. If they are the original seacocks, I would replace them.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
tartansailor

Cockpit Drains.

Post by tartansailor »

Same problem.
I then replaced the 90° elbows with pairs of 45°s
A small kitchen sink plunger easily clears up the debris.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Steve Buckley
Location: Typhoon Weekender, "Anna", #942, Cottage Park Yacht Club, Winthrop, MA

Socket

Post by Steve Buckley »

I had the same problem with a clog on the cockpit drains. I got a garden hose and tried to blast the blockage free with high pressure water. No luck. Then I pulled the boat, and tried the hose method again from below the boat upwards through the hull fitting. When I did, I heard a "clunk" inside the cockpit above. When I looked in the cockpit, I found the rusted remains of my 3/8" socket head that had gone missing the previous fall!
Carl Thunberg

Tip - Try an air horn - really.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Today, my old trusty plunger failed me and I was stumped. I was about ready to go for a dive to check the through-hull fitting for marine growth. I don't know what made me think of it, but I happened to look up at the right place and saw this little air horn :idea: . The horn part was about an inch in diameter. It fits snugly over the cockpit drainhole, so I gave it a shot. Lo and behold, if it didn't work! :D Anyway, just one more arrow to stick in your quiver.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Power washer

Post by Paul Grecay »

I blow mine out with my power washer...it works great.
John Eppler

Post by John Eppler »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I used the good old plumber's friend and then blasted with a hose, I had to seal off the port sided sink, b/c it is linked to the scupper. I wrapped the tip of the nozzel with a rag to give me a good seal and it finally worked!