cape dory 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cushilling1
Location: wanted - cape dory typhoon weekender and trailer Washington D.C. area

cape dory 27

Post by cushilling1 »

I am looking at a cd 27 D that has been sailed in fresh water. I will be sailing in the Chesapeake. Do I need to do any thing - adaptation wise- eg heat exchanger to adapt to the increase in salinity ? Also on the cd 27 D without a windlass how difficult/expensive would it be to install one (windlass) . Thanks cushilling
Last edited by cushilling1 on Nov 6th, '06, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Fresh water flush

Post by Gary M »

If your running in salt water I would diffenately think heat exchanger.

At least set the engine up with a fresh water flush, which I would do even with a heat exchanger.

On top of the water intake through hull valve of my last boat I installed a tee fitting pointed fore and aft. On one side of the tee I installed a barb and then the hose that goes to the water pump. On the other side of the tee I installed a ball valve, then a hose barb and then a hose that led to a cockpit locker.

When I came in from using the engine I would take the hose out of the cockpit locker and place it in a bucket of fresh water, and keep a garden hose in the bucket to keep it full. Then I would turn on the valve at the tee.

I'm now sucking both fresh and salt water. When I was sure I was sucking water from the bucket of fresh water I would turn off the through valve to the salt water.

Now I'm cooling with fresh water alone.

As long as the hose is filling the bucket you can flush the engine as long as you want. If the bucket is getting too full, increase the RPMS a little. If the bucket is getting to empty, decrease the RPMS a little. Or run to the dock and turn the water up or down.

This system works great and I would recommend it to anyone. Its easy to install as well.

As a safety, I put a cork in the end of the fresh water hose when not in use, just in case I forgot to close the valve. I sure didn't want to suck air

You can also add salt away to the fresh water bucket every now and then.

Try it, You'll like it.

Gary

Gary
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

emergency bilge pump

Post by Dan & Pat »

I have installed the same configuration on my power boat.

Additionally, I keep a short length of hose aboard that reaches the bilges from the freshwater flush side to provide for an emergency bilge pump as well. All you have to do is run the motor and open the flush side of the ball valve and you can move a lot of water out of your bilges in a short time.

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.