Manual Bilge Pump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bill Jarrell

Manual Bilge Pump

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Hello All,
Have a 81 CD25. She appears never to have any sort of bilge pump mounted. Thought at a minimum I should install a manual pump. John Vigor recommended in post back in 03: " (The) Whale Urchin and the Whale Gusher 10 diaphragm pumps. The Urchin would probably do you fine. The through-deck version of the Urchin (West Marine model 168575) retails at about $80."

Any advice on how and where to mount the pump, where to locate the hoses, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
tartansailor

Manual Bilge Pump in a Cape Dory 25

Post by tartansailor »

Hi Bill,
My diaphragm pump is located under the seat deck astern of the hatch, and as close amidships as possible. There is a through deck fitting with cover to accommodate the pump handle.

A major problem is connecting the 1 & 1/2" discharge hose at the stern, for a lack of space to work in.

The intake hose leads through a hole in the bulkhead under the ice box to the lowest part of the bilge, where it is connected to a bronze strainer.

I find that a Scotchgard pad tied to the bottom of the strainer does a great job of keeping small bits of dirt from clogging the diaphragm flappers.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Carl Thunberg

Whale pump

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hi Bill,

Adding to what Dick said, I have the Whale Urchin and I'm very happy with it. I can echo Dick's comment on the lack of space in which to connect the hose where it exits at the motor well. Make sure you have all the tools you need before you go in there and have a second person around just in case you need help extracting yourself.

If you install an electric bilge pump yourself, be very careful not to create a siphon. This is serious. You can sink your boat from an improperly installed bilge pump.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton