caulking under seahood

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

chase

caulking under seahood

Post by chase »

My companionway has started dripping through the crack in the wood casing. It appears that the caulk just needs to be redone.

Is there anything special to be known about the removal of the seahood? Looks pretty straightforward.

Is the seahood bedded? Would polysulfide be the right product to rebed with?

All the best,

Chase
tartansailor

Hood Removal

Post by tartansailor »

Hello Chase,
Yes I would also like to know how to remove the hood. Can not find any hold down screws??
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Al Levesque

How many styles?

Post by Al Levesque »

I wonder how many different styles of hood are included in the CD line. I recall vaguely that on the CD25 the underside of the hood was visible when the hatch was closed. I think we had to soak up the overflow from the gutters along the wood trim when heeling and the drains didn't have any effect. I don't remember the Typhoon as being the same. On the other hand, our CD33 is entirely different. The hatch disappears between the ceiling liner and the hood, but I don't know if it is between a continuous coach roof and the hood or if the coach roof is removed in that area. We don't have any leaking so I won't be experimenting.

I do recall that the solution we found for the CD25 in bad weather was to have a small heavy duty tarp secured over the hood and part of the roof.
tartansailor

Small Heavy Duty Tarp

Post by tartansailor »

Thanks Al,

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
L.DeMers
Sailing Lake SUperior

Seahood on CD30c

Post by L.DeMers »

Chase,

I removed our seahood for painting and rebedding a few years back. There should be several screws around the periphery of the hood. Remove these and then pry up gently. It will lift right off once the bond is broken with the bedding.

We also had that same leak in the wood framing the companionway. It happens only when the dodger is removed, so I suspect that the leak source is under the seahood.
Recaulking the seahood did repair the problem for us. To recaulk I would not use 5200, but rather 4100, which is going to stay softer and is removable.

Cheers,

Larry DeMers
s/v DeLaMer
CD30c
Lake Superior
Larry DeMers
S/V DeLaMer
Cape Dory 30c
Lake Superior