Love us or hate us?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: love us or hate us

Post by Neil Gordon »

Leonard Lookner wrote:... he is getting more requests for the new 1000 H.P. caterpillar ...
Let's see... I have a 13hp Volvo. I burn about one quart per hour... that would be about $0.75. 1000 hp, divide by 13, let's see... carry the two... hmmmmmmmmm... multiply times $3.00/gallon...

Hey, what's this going to do to the price of lobster?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

McMansions and Hummers?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil and Leonard:

What you're both saying is that we can expect the proliferation of seagoing Hummers and floating mcmansions to continue, unburdened by the increasing cost of petroleum.

But what happens to those of us who can't afford membership in that $100,000 country club?

I guess we'll have to buy used sailboats built by out-of-business manufacturers.

Come to think of it . . .

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: McMansions and Hummers?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:What you're both saying is that we can expect the proliferation of seagoing Hummers and floating mcmansions to continue, unburdened by the increasing cost of petroleum.
I haven't done the math, but I suspect that when you add up the cost of the mortgage payment, marina costs, maintenance, etc., fuel isn't an overwhelming percentage of the annual upkeep for a megayacht.

The bigger squeeze seems to be in the middle range... people who can afford a boat but are on a budget.

If I was building boats, it might make more sense to build bigger, add in features like flat panel TV's and appeal to the luxury market that can buy without serious regard to an extra $1000 a season for fuel. Besides, other forms of recreation aren't fuel free, either... road trips cost more, driving to and heating/cooling that second home will cost more, airline travel will cost more, cruises will cost more. (It remains to be seen to what extent airlines and cruise lines pass fuel costs along in the form of higher prices.) The boat may still make sense.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Straddle both worlds

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

As an owner of a motor sailer I have got my foot in both worlds to some extent although I am primarily a sailer and have never owned a power boat other than a dinghy with an outboard (albeit an Avon RIB with a 25 HP Tohatsu). Having limited time to enjoy a boat but wanting to be out on the water no matter what the weather when I can. I went after the CD motor sailer after remembering they made one. When it's nice I sail, when its cold, raining or otherwise crappy, I'm motoring and in the pilot house warm and dry burning about 1/2 - 2/3 of a gallon per hour at 6-7 kts. I can live with that.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Cuppa decaf hydrocarbon

Post by Angela and Tom »

I heard on NPR yesterday that a cup of coffee costs around $1.50; that same cup filled with oil costs 15 cents. Watch out Exxon and Detroit--it's the Starbucks lobby that's gonna own the politicians!

But here's my question--will the Volvo Penta MD7A run too rich on the full-bodied Columbia Supreme or will the light and lively Breakfast Blend yield more optimal performance?

A
Bob Condon

Linitations on Boating

Post by Bob Condon »

I don't think Fuel will be the issue. I think that access to the waterfront and the costs there, will be the limiting factor
for boating.

I am told that the number of boats being manufactured overall is declining.

If I was going to manufacture boats, I would go for the very high end (because those customers have nearly endless excess income) or the budget range (mid range). because of the volume.

(actually I would not manufacture boats as a business because there are too many better, more stable ways to make money.) A good example is to teach in New Jersey in the evenings for sail and motor boat safety.. that market just became HUGE for the next 3 years...

I am building a house so no boating this year...

:cry:
Bob Condon
joeeb

speaking of Levees

Post by joeeb »

Post by Guest »

I would not want twin 383s like in my old Fairliner. It was very roomy, but not as good as the sailboat. :wink:
rtbates

hopefully not

Post by rtbates »

Hopefully the air between sail and power won't get any worse because of the price of fuel. They may want gas money before they pull any of us off a sand bar though!

A big power yacht got fuel at our dock Sun. $1900.00 and it wan't even empty!!

Seraph's been burning baout 5-10 gals a year.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon

Re: hopefully not

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:A big power yacht got fuel at our dock Sun. $1900.00 and it wan't even empty!!
I topped off about a week and a half ago. $14.00, but that was mostly because I forgot to stop at the fuel dock last year.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

Neil

Post by rtbates »

Don't you just love it?
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Mike Johnson

boats at the docks

Post by Mike Johnson »

I have several power boater friends and they are feeling the crunch. they are not wealthy and they say it affects how they will operate the boat. On a side note, Big power boats are not the only ones sitting at docks. What about the big sailboats that we all sail by each time we cast a line off? seems there are plenty of people whose egos and fat wallets put them into a boat that is too big to handle and just sits at the docks .... true holes to pour money in.
Neil Gordon

Re: boats at the docks

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mike Johnson wrote:What about the big sailboats that we all sail by each time we cast a line off?
Size takes more crew and more wind, neither of which are usually available when the time is right.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Big boats

Post by Steve Laume »

I talked to the lovely name sake for a large (50' or so) heavy, wooden, blue water, cruising boat that is probably the nicest boat in our marina. There are some fancier ones but this is a fine boat and it is there all winter. The owners are now getting ready to take it to their mooring at Block Island so they can live aboard while they rent their house on Block for the summer. Pretty cool arrangement! I wish I had a house on Block Island to rent out and a boat big enough to be comfortable on all summer. Getting back to the point; she said they don't get out sailing as much as they used to on their smaller boat. Her words were "taking this boat out is a commitment". So money isn't the only reason boats sit. Time and money are very hard to come by at the same time. I think there is at least one boat at our marina that never leaves the dock all summer because it might get salt on the chrome. Most of our boats sit in that very comfortable niche that allows us to actually use them, Steve.
Steve Buckley
Location: Typhoon Weekender, "Anna", #942, Cottage Park Yacht Club, Winthrop, MA

Price affects consumer behavior

Post by Steve Buckley »

It's normal that when prices change, consumer behavior changes. The price of gasoline has been actually going down for 20 years, relative to the growth in personal incomes. Relative to inflation it has been flat. The Federal government opted not to tax gas as heavily as many other countries. (Europe has know $5/gallon prices for 20 years). This made gas cheap. Cheap fuel meant is was more affordable to have big trucks, SUVs, power boats, and yes, even big homes, which depending on where you live, have to be either heated or cooled (or both). Low interest rates made big homes even cheaper.

As prices rise, it will affect the choices some consumers make. If you can afford to pay for gas no matter what the price, your behavior won't change, of course. But gradually behavior will change for most consumers.

Remember, before the oil crisis of the 1970, something like 90% of the cars on the road were big powerful American made automobiles. When gasoline became expensive (and scarce), consumers sought out more energy efficient automobiles, and found Honda, Toyota and Datsun, (now Nissan), were the some of the only companies that offered what they wanted.

Something similar is happening now. Sales of SUV's are down about 8% year-on-year, and there are waiting lists to buy the hybrids.

It stands to reason that, in the near term, powerboaters might opt to take shorter trips, or simply party on the mooring, raft up, etc. I've noticed fewer powerboaters in Boston Harbor this year. Quite honestly, that's fine by me.