Which four stroke motor for a 1974 CD25?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Which four stroke motor for a 1974 CD25?

Post by Tom Foley »

Today my 1985 8 HP 2 stroke Mariner died in the ocean after having "mechanics" from Kennebunkport Marina work on it twicw in a week for a total of 2.5 hours. I certainly don't recommend them. The engine has less than 1000 hours but it keeps dying. The carbuerator was just cleaned.

Any way, which 4 stroke 9.9 HP will fit in the 74 CD 25?
Thanks
Tom :(
Doug Fallin

The Thin One's

Post by Doug Fallin »

Thin shaft small outboards fit through the well where the thick shafts are too large. I also like to look at weight. If your going to raise the motor and wash it faithfully after each use, weight is a major issue. I like to keep the weight between 50 and 90 lbs, all other variables considered.
JimL

Outboard issue for early CD25...

Post by JimL »

I suspect your boat has the same well as my old CD25 (the type with a closed bulkhead forward of the motor, with small opening). I had a Tohatsu 5HP 2-cycle in mine, and was considering the 6HP 4-cycle Tohatsu (Nissan/Mercury). The carry handle portion of the motor head is too long (sticks too far forward) for the original CD25 motor mount arrangement.

I never did make a change, and stopped researching when I found that the early "small" hole through the hull bottom will not accept any of the twin-cylinder, 4-cycle lower units due to the large mufflers and sumps. It might be possible to build up the mount, using a longer shaft motor, to get the Tohatsu 6HP single into the well.

Hopefully, someone else figured out what to do...if this is the motor well you have. If not......as the lady on the old Saturday Night Live said...."Never mind."

Regards, JimL
Ron Brassord

CD25 motor choices

Post by Ron Brassord »

I have a 1978 CD 25 and have a power challenge. I have a 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke which just barely fits through the lower hole with some of the cavitation plate cut away, and the upper unit fits very tight. The power is nice, but with the tight fit, the motor cannot be turned to help with the turning of the boat. Because of the weight and fit, it's too much to raise out of the water for sailing or storage. it's probably the largest engine that will fit the 25.
I just tried to inatall a Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke, and there is no way the lower unit will fit through the lower hole. Even cutting away some of the cavitation plate won't help. Forget the 8.
I tried a little 2.5 yamaha and it seems to work slick at the dock, and woul certainly push the boat fine in calm water, but I don't think it would work against a strong current or wind? it doesn't have a reverse which is a problem. There does't seem to be enough room to swivel the engine around, but maybe this could be worked out.
So, for lack of another option, I guess I will run the 9.9 until something better comes up.
Ron B
Carl Thunberg

Why so much power?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Do you really need all that horse power? A CD25 isn't exactly a motor-sailor. Granted, I don't know what conditions you sail in, but I use a 6HP Nissan 4-stroke and I'm very happy with its performance. I sail out of Portsmouth Harbor which has currents that can exceed 6 knots. I try to avoid that kind of current as much as I can, but my 6HP can still make forward progress into the teeth of the current when I have to. It also exhausts through the prop, so venting the lazarette is no problem. Just something to think about. There's been a lot of discussion in the archives on this topic. Take a look and good luck.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
tartansailor

8 hp Honda

Post by tartansailor »

The previous owner of my 1975 Cape Dory 25 installed an 8 hp Honda 4 stroke, and it is way too much motor for that boat. It can reach hull speed at less than 1/4 throttle, but the thing that really bugs me is the weight.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

Yamaha 8hp 4stroke outboard in CD26

Post by shawn382 »

For what it is worth, I hope I can help with my experiences from this year.

I just purchased a Yamaha 8hp high thrust extra long shaft for the well of my CD 26. I will admit that it was somewhat of a tight fit, but after figuring out the positioning of the motor to insert into the well, it is now very easy to do every time. The motor's cavitation plate will not fit through the opening while the motor is in the forward facing position. The motor must be turned around completely to face the stern and once the prop and cavitation plate are through, the motor drops straight in. Turning the motor to assist with steering is slight but it does help (a little more to port than starboard). I did, however make a new mounting board to move the mounting point forward slightly.

My suggestion to you is to make lots of measurements of your well and your old motor. Draw yourself a little diagram with those measurements and visit your local dealers and compare those measurements. The main difference in the wells of the CD 25 and the CD26 is the fact that the CD25 has a traveller in front. The CD26 does not.

A nice feature, the tiller on my Yamaha will fold completely back into the well when not in use. Another nice feature if you will be keeping your motor in the well all of the time. The Yamahas have a connection for a hose to rinse out the water pump and lower unit helping to reduce damage from saltwater.
The weight of the 8hp is around 100# but I made a simple device to help take the strain off the lower back using 2 - 2x4's in an Xposition above the well and attached a small set of blocks to lower the motor.

I hope this helps you.
Shawn McEachern
CD 26
Ron Brassord

CD25 power options

Post by Ron Brassord »

It's interesting that you got a Yamaha 4 stroke 8 to fit in a CD 26 well. The well in my CD25 is exactly 9X12 inches. Do you know the CD 26 measurements? Maybe I gave up too soon. Maybe also the traveler is a deterent?
I bought a Yamaha 8 recently to go on the bracket of my CD22{yes I have both--for now] I think it is a great sailboat engine with the long shaft, extra large prop, low gear ratio and both electric and hand start. It burns about a quart an hour and is very quiet and smooth. It would be perfect for the 25.
Ron B
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Ron:

I have misplaced your phone number. :oops: I just sent you a private message ("PM")

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
bgephart

Are you sure you need a new motor?

Post by bgephart »

Tom -
I am no mechanic, but I just went through the same aggravation with my motor dying after expensive repairs. Turns out it was just my old gas line from the tank to the motor - I borrrowed one from a friend and that solved the problem. So, I bought a new line and no more problems.
I have been sailing CD25's since 1980 and have used 15HP, 9.9HP and now I have a 6HP - all long-shaft, 2-cycle OMC types. We have pretty strong currents here with 6 - 7 ft tides and my 6HP can handle it with the right prop. Initially I did not have enough power to handle the current and the dealer said it was too small. That problem was solved by installing the correct prop (three flat blades - low speed, high thrust).
The smaller the motor, the less the weight, the easier to manhandle in and out of the motor well. Good luck!