Summer Reading List

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Summer Reading List

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Okay, Independence Day weekend is just about here :D . Time to start thinking about that summer reading list. I'm interested in what nautical books people might be reading this summer. Mind you, this is a summer reading list. Nothing heavy here. Leave Chapman, Rousmanier, and Don Casey at home.

Just to get things started, my two books for the summer are "Knockdown", the story of the Sidney-Hobart race disaster, and H.W. Tillman "The Eight Sailing and Mountaineering Expeditions".

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

summer reading

Post by Phil Shedd »

Carl

This summer I am reading the classic Moby Dick. Just getting into it. I have always wanted to read this book but for some reason I never got around to it .

Phil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

"Sailing Alone Around the World" is easy to pick up and open to any page.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

The Well Tempered Sailor

Post by tartansailor »

For light and entertaining reading, I like "Racing with Cornelius Shields and the Masters" 1974 Prentice Hall, also "Down Denmark Strait" E. Newbold Smith, 1980, Little, Brown.

For a historical perspective there is "Yachtsman,s Omnibus" Calahan, and "The Navigator" by Morris West.

If you are in to white knuckle rides, there is: "Heavy Weather Sailing" K. Adlard Coles, also "Alone in the Roaring Forties" by Vito Dumas.

If you are a dreamer, there is "The Ocean Sailing Yacht" by Donald M. Street Jr. and "How to Buy The Best Sailboat" by Charles Gustafson.

If you are a do it yourself-er there is "The Sailor's Sketchbook" by Bruce Bingham.

If you are a mentor to bright and enthusiastic grandchildren then you can't go wrong starting them off with "Invitation To Sailing" by Alan Brown. Furthering their career you would introduce them to "Sailing Smart" by Buddy Melges, then "Winning in One Design" by Dave Perry.

Forget the books, take a kid sailing.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Len

new book

Post by Len »

F Mate new book- GHOST SEA - is a great read about sailing and about the people of the pacific northwest in days gone by.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

"Tall Ship Down" is a great read. It's an excellent post event analysis of 5 sailing ship disasters that's light on the technical minutae and heavy on the relevant lessons learned.
Mark Abramski
Lee Kaufman

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I'm reading the Bounty Trilogy. Mutiny on the Bounty, Men Against the Sea and Pitcairn's Island. Good stuff.