Typhoon lee helm

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kemah

Typhoon lee helm

Post by Kemah »

I'm considering buying a Typhoon Weekender, and have been told that the Ty can have a lee helm. Does this occur just on certain points of sail? How "strong" is it? Does wind speed or angle of heeling affect it? Etc. I'd be very interested in any comments on this and any ways of dealing with it.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Lee helm

Post by Gary M »

Hey Chris,

I owned a Typhoon 20 or so years ago and mine had just slight weather helm. What I would call perfect because if you fell over board it would slowly round up and drift right back to you. I've got to believe this is pretty normal for Typhoons.

In all the boats I've owned, I've never experienced lee helm but I assume sail balance and all the things you mentioned would affect it, even the tension on the stays.

Gary
GLutzow

Lee Helm

Post by GLutzow »

I have owned a Typhoon Weekender for 26 years and have also found the ship to have a slight weather helm.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Dick Villamil

ty lee helm

Post by Dick Villamil »

Lee helm is caused by the mast position - adjust your turnbuckles so that there is a slight aft rake to the mast and the lee helm should disappear.