Question regarding a low boom on a 1973 Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mjgroovin

Question regarding a low boom on a 1973 Typhoon

Post by mjgroovin »

My Father recently restored a 1973 Cape Dory Typhoon class. The boat is an amazing ride BUT we have one problem. The boom for the mainsail hangs way too low. It has hit us on the head many times. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Are we doing something wrong or is this the design of the boat? Any suggestion or response would be appreciated.
Dick Villamil

Typhoon boom too low

Post by Dick Villamil »

Perhaps you aren't raising the main high enough - or the main is too big on the hoist. You should be able to sit in the cockpit and have the boom clear your heads. You are right - she does sail well!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Boom Too Low

Post by Oswego John »

MJ,

On my Typhoons, The boom end hangs pretty much parallel with the side decks/coamings. Definitely, not lower. The foreward end of the boom attaches to the mast at the gooseneck fitting.

There is a section of small gauge, flexible, wire rope located above the aft end of the boom. The upper end is nicropressed onto the aft stay. The lower end has a snap hook attached to it. This hook attaches to a fitting with a hole in it that is screwed into the end of the boom.

The boom elevation is preset at the factory. However, if the aft stay has been replaced and the nicropress joint been raised or lowered, or the wire rope and hook have been replaced or been otherwise altered, the position of the aft end of the boom at rest will be changed accordingly.

Good luck,
O J
rtbates

raise boom

Post by rtbates »

In order to raise the boom all you hve to do is have the main's foot re-cut. I'd recommend going loose footed in the process. I did this to Seraph, our 25D, in order to gain a few inches for a bimini. I left the goosneck where it is and had the main's foot cut at an angle rasing the clew about 7". Being loose footed it sets much better also.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
frankfurder

25D bimini

Post by frankfurder »

Randy;

Does your bimini work well? I have been wanting to install one but thought I had to raise the boom at the gooseneck to gain 6" of headroom. Your idea sounds like a better solution and I am interested in how effective it is.

Also, could you provide any bimini dimensions, manufacturer, etc?

Hot in Texas.
rtbates

for Frank

Post by rtbates »

Yes, the bimini on Seraph, our 25D, works great. I too wanted to raise the gooseneck , but the attachment screws weren't coming out. In hind site simply recutting the foot at an angle works much better and is much easier/cheaper to have done. Our bimini is 6 feet fore-aft and whatever the outside coaming to coaming distance is wide. It mounts on the outside of the coaming about a foot forward of the jib sheet winches. Couldn't sail w/o one in Texas.
Randy 25D Seraph #161