Typhoon Weekender Length?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Typhoon Weekender Length?

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

My Ty has been in the same marina for almost 10 years. New management just sent me a letter that they conducted an 'audit' and found that my boat has grown longer! This is because they admittedly measured to the end of the outboard, and naturally the letter was accompanied by a bill for the difference for this year. (At least it wasn't for all the previous years...)
My question to this board is whether this is common practice, i.e. to include the outboard as part of length for moorage fees.
Thank you all in advance,
Serge
Steve Laume

Take off the outboard

Post by Steve Laume »

Sounds like great new management. It might be time to get that little Honda 2 HP and take it off each time you come in to the dock. It is geting pretty petty when they want to measure the outboard. Then again if they start to measure those big 200+ HP jobbies that stick out behind the "30 Ft" boats so there is no room to swing then maybe it is worth it. So how long is an 18FT 6IN boat? Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon Weekender Length?

Post by Neil Gordon »

It's common practice to charge for the length of slip that you actually occupy. That results in charges for outboards, swim platforms, bowsprits, etc. My 28 becomes a 29 with the bowsprit.

Maybe the old management just measured you wrong and you've gotten years worth of benefit before being discovered.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

How long is a Ty?

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Thanks for feedback. I too think that 'hardware to hardware' can be defended by the marina but that somehow precedent should have been kept somehow. I see absolutely see a 2hp outboard in my future! Good idea with per foot prices being what they are the extra 2 feet rounded up is over a 10% penalty.
Serge