CD 26

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike a

CD 26

Post by mike a »

I need imput from all the Cd 26 owners. What they like and dislike about the boat. Can this boat with an out board take me anywhere, or is it a daysailor. I like the simplicity of the boat with the outboard, if there is a problem you take it to the mechanic instead of paying $300 just have him look at the motor.

Is it seakindly and how hard is it to lead the lines aft. Is the cabin top cored or is it solid.

Again this board is great and I am sure I will receive many responses.

thanks

mike :D
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Mike, I know of one for sail nearby on the Cape, I believe it's an inboard diesel /could be mistaken. The exterior it appears to be in fine condition.
I would think the 26 would make a good small coastal cruiser.
The cabintop would be balsa cored as would the decks and cockpit sole.
The area of the hull-deck joint is solid resin/glass inboard of the toe rail for approx. 3". I could get the phone # as I do not know the owner.
________
Airsoft shop
Last edited by Ron M. on Mar 8th, '11, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

CD 26

Post by George Shaunfield »

Mike,

I have only had my 26 for three years, but will offer my thoughts on it. First, it is definitely more than a daysailor. One month ago one crew member and I make a 38-hour passage (123 nm) outbound into the Gulf of Mexico and a 30-hour return trip (110 nm). Have also made several coastal passages of 50-70 nm with a total crew of two and three.

I have not found a long-shaft outboard to be a problem on the 26. The prop stays in the water. As a friend with a CD30 told me, "You have to consider it a sailboat since it just has an outboard." That is fine with me. I don't motor just because the destination lies to windward, I sail!!

I just replaced the single battery in the port sail locker with twin 6-volt golf cart batteries mounted in what would be the engine compartment under the stairs - lower, on the centerline, and more forward than the original. Also, they provide 220 AH of power to run nav lights, instruments, cabin lights, and fans for long trips. I am considering building in a well-insulated ice box to replace the ice chest that came from the factory. I may also replace the 2-burner alcohol stove with a fully gimballed single burner stove mounted on the bulkhead. There is a foot pump to install for the galley sink. I have a dorade box with cowl vent to mount in the cabin top to starboard of the mast. Having cut a hole in the foredeck and installed the chain deck pipe, I can tell you that I was pleasantly suprised to find how thick the deck is.

Having spent 20 hours hove-to during a full gale in the Atlantic in a CD28, I don't believe the constant motion would be significantly different in a CD26.

One thing I dislike about all Cape Dorys, including the 36, is that none have bulwarks, only toe rails.

There are my $.02 worth.
George
shawn382
Sea Mist
Baltimore,MD (York,PA)

CD 26 simplicity in a nutshell

Post by shawn382 »

I have owned my CD 26 for about 5 years and purchased one for the reason of simplicity. A full keel boat without all of the bells and whistles is what attracted me.

This year, I have just purchased a new 8 hp four stroke outboard for her in the $2k price range vs. probably more than double that if not more for an inboard diesel. With the long shaft ( 25" ), if I ever have to worry about the motor cavitating, the conditions would not be the type I would normally see myself in on the Chesapeake Bay.

Having sailed her in 35 knot winds ( not by choice, in a storm ) and she did better than I did. I have noticed that in windier conditions, often times, it seems that the other boats have retreated to their marinas while I continue to sail.

I sail her singlehanded most of the time and I don't have any lines leading aft. If the wind starts to kick up, I just make sure that I reef early and roll up the head sail as needed. As far as extras on the boat, I have few ( roller furling w/ 130 genoa and a working jib, depth finder,vhf, and a Garmin 176 GPS that I mount in the companion way).

If there is anything bad to say about the boat, it would be the hobby horsing in light air with any chop. If the air is light and the powerboats have the water churned-up, I fire up the new and improved Iron Genny and head home. This doesn't occur as often lately with gas prices upwards of $3 a gallon, just not as many powerboats these days.

I would think that this boat could be sailed just about anywhere and if it doesn't have that creature comfort that you are looking for, you should be able to add it fairly easily.
Shawn McEachern
CD 26