a few furling questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

a few furling questions

Post by Dick Barthel »

I had a great shake down cruise yesterday out for about 6 hours in great air having fun with my new furler system. I have a couple of "stupid" questions:

(1) If I'm one a starboard tack and my furling line is set up on the port side, what is the best way to take in some sail with the port winch already occupied with the jib sheet? What I found myself doing was either heading up so I could furl without having to take a few wraps around the winch or taking the sheet off the winch temporarily which seemed very clumsy. Am I missing something?

(2) I attempted to heave to just to try it with the wind gusting to 20-25 kts. in three to five foot seas. I never had any trouble with this technique with a hanked on working jib. One thing I think I did wrong is I don't think I furled the sail enough before trying it. It was still past the mast with the sheet track set 3/4 aft. The sail got wedged up against the spreaders and it certainly didn't look right. I got blown right around and she took off making 5 knots down wind! After a brief moment of fright, I experienced that Cape Dory feeling once again, that she's very forgiving of my mistakes.

I'm thinking two things: I should furl the sail substantially and move the sheet slide up as far forward as I can on the genoa track before attempting to heave to, especially in heavy weather. Thoughts before I try it again?

Still Learning in Noank or An Old Dog Trying to Learn New Tricks,

Dick
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Dick,

Think you got it right with your first thought. I have always thought that you should not use the furling line on a winch. Head up enough so that the jib is luffing a bit then furl it by hand. If the line gets tangled in the drum and you winch down on it there is a chance that you won't get it free without cutting the line. You won't get a feel that everything is moving free with the winch

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Dick:

Like Joe said, you really shouldn't need a winch to get the furling line in.

As for heavy to, yes reduced headsail helps, BUT with the main sheeted in tight you shouldn't bear off so fast. Was your tiller hard to leeward? If so, the rudder and main should make her want to pivot into the wind while the backed headsail should counter this tendency by forcing the bow off the wind as soon as the main quits pulling. It's a balancing act between the main/rudder and the headsail.

Yes as the headsail is reefed the sheet lead should move forward. You want to keep the sheet angle equally divided between the foot and the leech. A reefed headsail without moving the sheet lead forward will flatten the foot while allowing the leech to remain too full.

Best wishes
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Dick Barthel

Thanks guys

Post by Dick Barthel »

Your two responses are right on the money. Thanks.
Dan Roeder

Post by Dan Roeder »

To furl, try going onto a broad reach/almost run. When the jib starts to collapse, then furl. There will be very little strain on it. I agree with everyone else, if you need to use a winch on the furling line, something is probably wrong.