Prairie Sails!!!!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Prairie Sails!!!!

Post by Dave Brandt »

After 3 1/2 years of work, Prairie went in the water last Thursday. We launched the boat in Lake Pepin on the Mississippi river. It was pretty nerve wracking as well as exciting when she went in the water.

I got the mast stepped later that afternoon and spent Friday getting her ready.

Saturday afternoon my daughter Robin, her boyfriend Jay and my wife Jane went sailing on "our" boat for the first time. It was incredible!! What a joy.

Sunday I went out with my 12 year old son, Clare and his buddy Jonathan, we anchored out Sunday night and spent Monday sailing, it just could not have been better.

Here is a link to a photo taken Saturday:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgxc/d ... pg&.src=ph

When I get a chance I will post some more photos and write up a more about the project.

I would like to thank everyone on the board that has provided so much information. What an amazing resource, every time I had a question the info I needed was here.

Dave
rtbates

Congratulations

Post by rtbates »

Congratulations on getting there. Nice looking boat and crew.

This board is amassing in it depth of knowledge and, this is the biggie, willingness to share.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Absolutely Incredible

Post by Domenic »

What a critique job on that boat. She in better than new. Your Boat looks beautiful.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Bravo!

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Dave,
Prairie is a lucky boat to have you entrusted with her care. I've followed your photos as the project has gone forward. I hope my former 25 doesn't see the photos. As hard as I worked to take care of her when she was entrusted to me, she would feel neglected next to Prairie. Thanks for sharing.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Envy Envy Envy =)

Post by Dan & Pat »

Dave,

Awesome job on that boat. We've got a lot to do yet on our #282, "Play it Again Sam" but you've given us hope!

Fair skys and tail winds!

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Hurray!!!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Congrats!!! A magnificent job!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
OPaulB

Stunning

Post by OPaulB »

absolutely!!!
Congrat's
OPaulB
Raleigh, NC
Skip

Lovely boat

Post by Skip »

Nice job! She's gorgeous and congratulations are in order!

Skip
Carl Thunberg

Way to stick it out to the end!

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm amazed that you stayed focused on this for 3-1/2 years and actually brought it to an end. And you're still married, too! Very impressive. You've certainly shown us what some imagination and hard work can do. You've earned some nice sailing time. Enjoy it!

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

PRAIRIE

Post by Zeida »

Dave, those of us who have had and LOVE the CD-25, yours is the most spectacular one of them all. Cape Dory should pay you for the rights to exhibit that boat as an example of what a real gem they can be, IF they only had done what you have done to yours!

As I clicked "next" on the pictures, I could feel the same delight you were feeling when you finally got her in the water and went sailing. She is just priceless, and fuggidaboud master card!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Astonishing!

Post by Dave Jeffery »

Not merely renewed, restored, or rebuilt...but essentially remanufactured.

Look forward to learning about more of the details. For instance, did you install fixed ports or opening ones?

Dave J
mahalocd36

Congratulations!

Post by mahalocd36 »

You should be very proud of all your hard work. May you have many happy years of sailing her.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

RE: Prairie Sails!!!!

Post by George Shaunfield »

Dave,

You have done an incredible job. Prairie is a real credit to the Cape Dory name.

Congratulations,
George
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Thank you for the kind words!!

Post by Dave Brandt »

Thanks for the comments, my wife really enjoyed the "And you're still married, too!" comment.

We have managed to get out sailing a few times since Prairie was launched. We are still learning the boat, but so far we could not be more pleased. I was a bit worried about docking, this is the first full keel boat I have sailed, but no problems ( so far ).

Dave J. ask about the ports. There are 4 fixed and 4 opening. I used Beckson plastic ports, this is one of the things I might have done differently. Bronze ports would have been nice, but I cheeped out.

I posted a few more photos:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgx ... /my_photos

I can't for the life of me figure out how to have a photo come up on the board.........

Dave