CD 270 experience

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ken Textor

CD 270 experience

Post by Ken Textor »

Looking for someone with experience sailing a CD 270, the keel/centerboard version of the CD 27. I've heard they are more tender and rolly than full keel CDs. True? Other issues? I'm thinking of trying to buy a CD 270 but do want to have the CD stability we all like so much. Thanks for any help,

Ken Textor, Arrowsic, ME
________
Smoke weed every day
Last edited by Ken Textor on Feb 10th, '11, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
marilou

cd270

Post by marilou »

The CD270 is a full keel with the advantage of a centerboard. It is not a swing keel. With its Displacement to LWL of 419, the CD270 is considered to be a heavy displacement cruiser. Higher, I believe, than other Cape Dorys. This, you may conclude, would make for a slow sailer. As reviewed in SAIL Magazine (November 1984) "The designer, Dieter Empacher, distributed the 8,300 displacement over long waterlines, cutting back the forefoot, and 3' draft make a hull with little wetted surface. A waterline beam somewhat narrower proportionally than other Cape Dorys and a rather long counter also aid in that regard. Coupled with a tall mast (41 feet 8 inches above WL) and a consequently generous sailplan the 270 is slippery in light air. And she develops long sailing lines when she heels, which makes her speed potential at the upper end of the wind range equally impressive. With a fine entry and a centerboard that extends her draft 7 foot, she has the goods to go upwind. A moderate flare to her bows provide dryness and a good sized foredeck. Her rudder design mirrors the latest thinking in attached blades both in terms of shape and of benefitting from an endplate at the hull." With a PHRF of 216 (CD28-219, CD27-243) she sails well.

With a 9'5" beam, the boat might rock or roll slightly more than other CDs, when she is not moving. The beam contributes to amount of space below. Again, the CD270 is a full keel cruiser. The 3' draft has obvious advantages and does not make it a "rolling" light displacement vessel. The 7' easily makes up for the lost of draft when sailing upwind. Other notable keel/centerboard boats, such as Hinkleys and Little Harbors support the fact that keel/CB sailboats can be very good and comfortable performers.

Motion comfort is 28.63 according to Carls, which translates to a comfotable ride.
http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

The boat is strongly built with rigging from the Cape Dory 30. While my experience with the boat, Hull #1 1984 - orignal owner, has been primarily limited to the Chesapeake Bay, I agree with other reviews that the boat could take you anywhere in comfort that would rival larger boats.