Compass Navigation Light

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Compass Navigation Light

Post by David Sabourin »

Has anyone ever had any reason to replace the little lights that illuminate the compass when the nav ligthts are turned on? If so, where did you get the replacements and how in the world do they actually work.....two real small guage wires, probably 22 ga or smaller, and both seem to go the the same place......pos and neg on the same connection, me thinks not.......any ideas?

David Sabourin
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Re: Compass Navigation Light

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Assuming you have the Ritchie Globemaster, call Ritchie...the replacements are LEDs and you just splice the wires. Did it about three years ago.

This web page will get you started but I'd recommend talking to them.
http://www.ritchienavigation.com/service/lighting.html
1-781-826-5131
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Splice the wires?

Post by David Sabourin »

I do have the Ritchie Globemaster......and I'll call them tomorrow. You say you spiced the wires together? Both the pos and neg. There are two little bulbs on mine....each facing a different direction with the little wires soldered together at the base....I am confused on how the two wires from below will work both going to the same place. Is yours similar?

Thanks for the quick reply,
David
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

That's not the same arrangement I had (EDITED)

Post by Bill Cochrane »

May have been different from the factory, or may have been an interim "fix" by a PO. I replaced a single, very small, incandescent bulb with an LED, and just used small (pink) crimp butt connectors, covered with adhesive shrink tubing.

The service manual is available here http://www.ritchienavigation.com/docs/m ... master.pdf

If you go to page 7-32, my (old style) light is shown at the bottom of the page...a single bulb with two metal support brackets. Some of the others do seem to have two bulbs but I think those are LEDs.

Call 'em with the Serial Number or year built (probably same as your boat) and they can help.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

info

Post by David Sabourin »

Thanks Bill.....I'll let you know how it turns out...
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Ritchie Compass Company

Post by David Sabourin »

Talked to them today and they were most helpfull.....ordered the little part that I needed to get my lights working again and I went with the night vision saving green color now available......They say the CG is leading the way in changing to green Thanks again Bill.

David