CD27 Autopilot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

CD27 Autopilot

Post by marka »

I'd be interested in opinions on the best autopilot for a '27 for coastal cruising on Lake Ontario. I've read you should buy oversized by a factor of 2.
Mark Abramski
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Raymarine

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I think any tiller pilot will be fine, but you are right about oversizing. If you look carefully you will see that the max deflection of the tiller will be about 20 degrees, not enought to overcome significant weather helm. Under sail in all but very moderate conditions you will have to adjust sail trim to reduce weather helm as much as possible. Hence there are two recommendations: buy the most powerful unit and learn sail trim.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Raymarine

Post by Neil Gordon »

kobayashir wrote:If you look carefully you will see that the max deflection of the tiller will be about 20 degrees, not enought to overcome significant weather helm.
Twenty degrees on the tiller turns the rudder into a brake. The boat needs a reef.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

ST 2000

Post by Dick Barthel »

I think the Raymarine ST 2000 is rated for up to 10,000 pounds which should give you plenty of leeway on a 27. It works flawlessly on my 25D which is a few thousand pounds lighter at 5200 pounds. I find the unit struggles in any kind of seaway, especially when sailing downwind. But other than that she's great.

Dick
Richard G.

CD 27 - Autohelm

Post by Richard G. »

I have a Raymarine 2000 + on my CD27. The key, as has been mentioned earlier, is sail trim so one does not overtax the unit. Reducing sail area to reduce weather helm is essential to avoid breaking the unit let alone having it perform well.