debth transducer instal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

debth transducer instal

Post by seadawg »

I've read a lot of posts about in-hull debth transducer installations but no one has mentioned the hull liner. Has anyone had to deal with this? I need to install a new P-79 in hull transducer and could sure use some suggestions on dealing with the liner. Transducer location ideas would be helpful also. Boat is a 22d
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I would cut the liner neatly , 2 - 3" square or carefully with a hole saw with the pilot set as low as possible. You will probably need a fairing block so your transducer will mount vertical to the hull angle.
Mine is installed just forward of amidships beneath the starboard bunk.I have good access to it through the door below the bunk, I also cut a access panel in the plywood beneath the cushion.
Read the installation instructions.
________
Weed vaporizer
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

transducer

Post by seadawg »

Thank you, cutting holes in the hull is a little scary when you are on your own. The p-79 is an "in hull" transducer and hopefully it will work better in contact with the outside hull rather than the lining. The dead rise is adjustable on the p-79. Thanks again, See ya Charles.
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

AIRMAR website

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Mr Dog,

Go to AIRMAR; www.airmar.com, 603-673-9570.

They are the manufacturer of most of the transducers with which we deal, select 'in hull'. They have quite a write up on this subject :)

No air voids or cored hull voids!
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Troy Scott

Re: depth transducer installation

Post by Troy Scott »

Seadog,

First a story: MANY years ago, I had a new CD22. Water would sometimes collect in a locker which had no drain. I decided to drill a small hole in the liner to let the water find it's way to the bilge. Imagine my surprise when a little fountain of seawater appeared in the locker.

The point is: There are lots of places where globs of thickened resin are used to attach the liner to the hull. These places are solid all the way to the ocean. Be careful if you try to remove a section of liner. An easier option might be to decide where you want the transducer, drill a few small holes into the cavity between the liner and the hull, and inject thickened resin into the void to make that area solid. If you make the mix like peanut butter and inject it with a LARGE hypo or similar, it will stay where you put it. You need to avoid air bubbles as they will confuse the transducer.
seadog wrote:I've read a lot of posts about in-hull debth transducer installations but no one has mentioned the hull liner. Has anyone had to deal with this? I need to install a new P-79 in hull transducer and could sure use some suggestions on dealing with the liner. Transducer location ideas would be helpful also. Boat is a 22d
Regards,
Troy Scott