A hell of a way to start the season

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

A hell of a way to start the season

Post by Phil Shedd »

We had rain here most of the week so today was the first day since last weekend to get to the boat. The wind was light early this morning but it was coming from the east . For us to have a nice sunny day and a east wind in very unusual.

Got to the boat a little later than I had hoped I would. First thing was set tension on stays and shrouds . Used my new Loos gauge I got for my birthday . The wind started to get up some was getting a little wavey at the mooring. Finished the rigging . Sure like that loos gauge .

Well with that done the only thing to do was to go SAILING. By now the wind is 20 k give or take ,but since we are close to the land the swell is small.

Since I was by my self I unfurled the jib only and went for a wonderful sail. Ran for a while than tacked and beat back up river. There were a few squalls that were no problem. The sail was great . Had the rail under once. Sailed for about a hour but had to get back as there were other things that had be done on the boat and at home.

This is a really early start this year. A sunny warm day with a great breeze and no ice burgs :) .

Doesn't get much better this early.

Phil
tartansailor

Cheers

Post by tartansailor »

New Brunswick! Great to hear from a fellow Cape Dory affection-ado from New Brunswick.
Have fond memories of salmon fishing trips to the Restigouche and Kedgwick.

Once I was dazzled there with my jaw down to my knees gaping at the Aurora Borealis, but it was no big thing there because it is so prevalent.

It was an enchanting amethystine array of color in motion that words fail to justify.

I must say that friends I was lucky enough to meet there stand out in my mind as being among the friendliest and most courteous I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. One guy actually went out and shot a grouse so that I may have those feathers for fly tying.
Now that is something for a guy I just met!

Best to all Canadian sailors, (and fly fishermen too).

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Greg Ross
Location: Recent addition to the Fleet, an Ericson Independence 31 Hull No. 63 0f 70

Spring has come early

Post by Greg Ross »

Hello Phil,
Spring has come very early to PEI too, I head home from Calgary this week for a two week visit. The Mission! to get LAYLAH the new Ericson I31 launched. The Cape Dory will rest in the Barn.
Greg Ross Ericson 31C
CYC, Charlottetown, PEI
Canada
welcome to the Brand-X contingent of the CDSOA