Typhoon Launched !!!!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ronkberg

Typhoon Launched !!!!

Post by ronkberg »

Well my Typhoon is at a slip in South Portland, Maine and ready to sail. Unfortunately the weather is not co-operating at this time to allow me to become acquainted with her. I need to build up my confidence and then sail her down the coast to Pine Point mooring in Scarborough, ME which is about 15 miles. That will be my longest trip along the coast and I am slightly anxious. I had planned to be at the mooring by May 15th but it looks like I'll miss that plan due to the weather. Oh well, I'll just be patient.

Any advice and tips from the experienced members will be appreciated.

I have attached few photos although they may not be in the correct sequence.......sorry but you will get the idea I'm sure.

Regards, Ron

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/ ... 0Launched/
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Don't fall victim to "get-to-itis". Wait for good conditions; take someone along who has some experience; make sure you have all the equipment you might need, safety, navigation, tools, beer. Have a good time.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bob G.

launching

Post by Bob G. »

I agree with Joe and take someone along. You have a great boat, she will serve you well. Wait for the right time, and don`t be anxious.

Good Luck
Bob
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey, have fun and be careful and take your time and make sure you have ever thing on board.... winthrop
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Shake down cruise

Post by Gary M »

Ron,

Fifteen miles sounds like a nice cruise.

I always like to get started early for two reasons. First I like the mornings and second it gives me a time cushion at the other end.

If you haven't already, make a plan. Exactly what directions, where to turn, distance between points. The plan can always change but having one is of great value. Your more familiar with your route.

Take a chart and make a couple of notes of points you can sight along the way to map your progress. Keep a log.

Do you have a safe way of refilling the outboard if you need to or does it have an external tank? I didn't like standing on the afterdeck and try to fill the tank of my Sea Gull engine when I had a Typhoon.

Let people know your ETA. Take a cell phone. Do you have VHF?

Wear a harness and tie off. I like tieing off to something mid ship so I can't fall over. Stuff happens.

Have a plan for sail changes or reefing.

Have patience, and like has already been said, pick your own time when the weather is on your side.

My first trip in my Typhoon was 32 miles. I spent a long time planning and the trip went great. I took on longer trips later.

You have a fine little yacht!

Gary

If you had a different boat and sailed out of my marina I would also tell you not to forget to bring your fenders in!!!!!!!
JPortland

Nice!

Post by JPortland »

Good luck, Ron! She looks great.
ronkberg

Stuck until weather changes

Post by ronkberg »

Thanks so much for the encouragement and coaching. The forecast is for rain through next Wednesday and I've yet to sail her. I plan to get at least 2 days of sailing in Portland before going down the coast so it looks like late next week, best case.

I will take all of the coaching to heart and be cautious. I have a new VHF radio that I've tested and have received responses saying it sounds strong and clear. I'll get a larger gas can so that I will not have to go onto the fantail and will use a harness for more security. Been studying the charts and will document the planned route.

The coaching has made me less anxious and more excited, but the rain and fog are depressing. :( I am sure it will clear soon and my Typhoon is ready!

Any other coaching will be highly apprciated!

More later, Ron
Joe CD MS 300

Ron, Do you have a GPS?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

My cruising grounds are Maine also. Given the chance for fog at almost any time I always have a handheld GPS (actually two) to backup the radar in the event of fog. If you don't, it's well worth the investment.

Joe
ronkberg

GPS on board

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Joe, I do have a hand held etrex GPS on the boat. Also a large cockpit mounted compass and a hand held. Is there a particular season in Maine when fog is more prevalent?

Ron
Jonathan Handelman
Freeport, Maine

Fog season

Post by Jonathan Handelman »

Ron,

I sailed out of Portland for 5 years and am now up in Freeport. Fog season seems to arrive more often later in the summer but somehow it seems to arrive whenever I go on a lengthy cruise.

When I got my first sailboat (a 27' Pearson Renegade) I sailed up from Kittery on my first ever trip. I was so nervous I couldn't eat, so I got cold and seasick. The guys with me, however, felt none of the captain's stress and they had a great trip. So don't forget to eat.

After getting the boat to Portland, I took a few weeks before I was brave enough to sail out of the harbor even to the Head Light. It's amazing how fast your comfort level will build. The second summer I had the boat I sailed it to Martha's Vineyard. The third summer I went for a 5 week cruise up to Mt. Desert Island (where the real fog lives).

One thing to remember is that your Typhoon really doesn't sail any faster than you can run, so with proper planning you have time to anticipate where you are going and what will happen when you get there.

The trip down the coast will be a fun one, so be patient and wait for one of the two or three warm days we will likely get this summer.

-Jonathan[/i]
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Ron,

Cold water + warm moist air = fog. If you haven't done it already, while you are waiting for your trip window to open, plot your entire route on your charts and then set up your waypoints and route on the GPS. Compare the bearings and distance for each leg of the route. They should match up real close. When I got my first GPS I spent half the winter putting in waypoints and routes. The planning is half the fun. At least better than not doing anything related to sailing. Having your route plotted on the charts a head of time is a big help if you will be short handed at all.

Joe
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

One more thing.....Local Knowledge!

Post by Gary M »

Ron,

The most important piece of advice I got before my first trip to Catalina Island was from a friend sharing local knowledge.

In my case my friend told me the wind picks up quite a bit as you get close to the island so point high all day. When the wind picks up you will have enough room to fall off and not have to reef. Plus you don't have to worry about beating back up to your destination if you get pushed low.

That was incredibly good advice. When the wind picked up I fell off and flew down the side of the island to my destination saving me time and trouble.

Ask around for sailors who have done your route and get any information you can from them. Especially if they're sailing small boats.

Ask questions because sometimes there is a piece of information that might be thought to be obvious but it isn't obvious to some one who hasn't done the trip.

Your going to do great.

Gary
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: GPS on board

Post by Neil Gordon »

ronkberg wrote: Is there a particular season in Maine when fog is more prevalent?
Sailing season. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
ronkberg

May weather stinks !!!!

Post by ronkberg »

Well, since May 8th when I launched, I have had two hours with the sails raised. Today it started sunny but rain and thunder storms are building, so I wait...... Luckily the marina owner said I can stay for long as necessary and the weather for later this week is encouraging. I have a friend with local knowledge that said he'd join me if he can change his work schedule to accommodate. With some luck, I will be on my Pine Point mooring by this time next week. Oh yah, the two our sail was enjoyable and I sensed that the Typhoon is ready for the trip.

Ron