Shaft question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Hose

Post by Carter Brey »

Jim Lewis wrote:I guess the hose on stern tube is all the way aft and hasn t moved forward........I know to my shock on day I was gonna add packing
to my stuffing box and hose turned on tube, to my surprise no
clamps back there......good luck......
Jim, if only there were room for the hose to move forward! Take a look at this:

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/stuffing.jpg[/img]

I had three hours to work on it yesterday and I have most of a one-inch strip of hose removed, using a Dremel with a right-angle attachment, a coping saw blade, and a special tiny hacksaw. The muffler is preventing access to part of it, so I'll attack it tomorrow with a wire saw. I might be able to reach the last part with that. Failing that, I'll undo the aft clamps and try to rotate the hose a few degrees to expose the uncut part. If that doesn't work, I'll unscrew the base of the muffler and move that out of the way.

If all those steps in an orderly retreat fail, then I'll borrow the yard's Sawzall and cut off the shaft. I'm really tired of this; it's a tremendous waste of time on what should be a simple thing.
Boyd

I see your pain.

Post by Boyd »

Hi Carter:

Grinding off the key that extends past the coupling might give you a little more room. Its brass and will grind off easily. Also if the hose will come loose on the tube it might slide back giving another 1/4".

It looks like the hose has a slight bend in it. Could be just an optical delusion, but if not you might want to visit aligning the shaft and engine even though you are loath to touch that one. How does the cutlass bearing look?

I put in some of the dripless packing (the green stuff) about 4 years ago and havent had a dripless situation ever since. Might be worth doing this time.

Somebody wasnt thinking when they put this in. Sure is tight in there. These projects do have the tendency to expand.

Boyd
Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Post by Dave Jeffery »

Or, you could strap a 6hp Nissan OB on the transom.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Outboards

Post by Carter Brey »

Dave Jeffery wrote:Or, you could strap a 6hp Nissan OB on the transom.
Ah, the good old days!

Is she in the water yet??