new batteries

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Battery Questions

Post by Dean Abramson »

My new CD31 came with 2 deep-cycle gel batteries. One may need replacing, but it may just need charging.

Two questions:

I have heard I need a special charger for gel batteries. What should I look for?

I have read that one should not mix battery types, but I have not found any gel starting batteries. Do they exist? Or is there something about gel batteries which makes them better for starting purposes than a lead-acid deep-cycle battery?

FWIW, my routine on my 25D has always been as follows:
I have a starting battery (in my case #1). Start engine with #1, then motor down the river charging All. After a while (20-30mins., which means I am now into open water), I imagine that #1 is happy, so I switch to #2 and charge the house battery, a regular deep-cycle, for any remaining motoring time, if there is no wind. I check the battery condition gauge whenever we are anchored or moored. If one is a little down, I favor it in the charging department next time we are underway. It is all very low-tech, but works fine. I switch the battery switch multiple times while the engine is running every day I sail. It is only Off that is taboo.

The 31 has a combiner, so I will be changing my routine. Maybe.

Thanks,

Dean
Last edited by Dean Abramson on Apr 28th, '06, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

last year I installed a started battery plus I have the two battery house bank. Mine are wet deep cycle and work well. If you buying new batteries by a matched set. I am not sure about the charger and gel type batteries . Check with a maker of chargers like guest.

Last year I installed refridgeration so there is more of a load on the house batterys.This year I plan to install a Balmar alternator to get a better charge

I can send you pictures of my starter battery set up if you like .

Phil
Dean Abramson

Sure

Post by Dean Abramson »

Phil,

Don't go to any trouble, but if you have a shot, I would like to see it. You can send it direct to dabramson@mainephoto(dot)com Or maybe others on the Board would be interested too.

I am going to try initially to live with the two existing batteries if the currently weak one is chargeable, or just replace it with the same kind. But I have thought about having two batteries on the "house" side. I am replacing the water heater, though, and I doubt there is room for 3 batteries plus the hot water tank I will be getting, which is rectangular and will take up about 20" fore to aft on the shelf. We won't have refrigeration, so I think we will be okay.

One boat I saw had a pretty nifty arrangement of batteries behind the engine and shaft. Not very accessible, but since gel batteries are no-maintenance, I might look into that at some point. The weight was down nice and low; and it seems to me that the 31s are a little heavy on the port side what with the batteries, the hot water tank, and the fuel tank. I did not notice this on the very brief sea trial (in blinding cold rain), but the surveyor thought that the boat listed to port some. The boat has not been launched here yet, so I'm not sure how she will rest in the water. There were four people aboard, and maybe we were all standing on the port side then...

Thanks, Phil.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Dean

I will get you some pics of the starter battery. I also installed a new hot water heater this year so will send those also . There is no room for a third battery. I have two # 27 batteries.

Phil