Ok, who's been to the tip top of their masts?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

another tip

Post by Len »

In my youth I spent some time climbing (mountains not masts). From these experiences I learned (after several falls) an important lesson about climbing, that should be applied to climbing a mast-- It is always better to have protectiion above or close to you as compared to protection far away. While is is good to have another person "spot" you from the deck- something could always go wrong. So if climbing the mast by yourself or even with someone at the other end of a "safety" line, it is best to attach yourself to that which you are climbing. On a Mast this is best achieved by using a climbing harness with a Jumar or Petzel ascender attached with carabiners and a sling to a stationary line which is cleated off at both ends. No matter whether you are on a bosuns chair, mast steps, ATN device, or a webbing ladder- if you are physically attached (correctly) you are in the safest position.
It is not true however, that should you become incapacitated while so attached than it becomes very difficult for a rescuer to get you down. If there is a person at the end of a safety line and you are attached to a fixed line - the fixed line can easily be cut and now you are controlled by the safety line handler.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
bobc

I use Mast Mate

Post by bobc »

I've been to the top of my CD27 several times using my "Mast Mate" ladder. The only thing I wouldn't try with it is work on the ends of the spreaders. With a mast ladder you can't really get away from the mast. I'm a big guy, so I tie off with both halyards.

The steps are a little far apart on the standard model, but you can get one with the steps closer together. This is the biggest problem because, after being rolled up, the steps aren't always easy to get my foot into. Trying to get the step to fold out while stretching to reach is sometimes challenging.

I also bought the belt/pouch they sell. I tried using it while climbing, but finally decided if I was going above the spreaders it was just best to wait until I was above the spreaders to clip in.

It's not cheap, but it works, and it's small enough that I keep it on the boat.

http://www.mastmate.com/

Bob
Bob Cutler
1981 CD27 (sold)
Everett, WA
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Twice the same day!

Post by Gary M »

I went up my old Rawson's mast to change out a broken spar fly that a bird had landed on.

I just returned to the deck and was starting to walk up the dock when another bird came along and landed on the new spar fly I just installed! I pulled myself up again.

It is a nice view, but boat wakes and wind freak me out a little.

Gary
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

Neil pulled me up in the bosun's chair with one halyard and a guy from the neighboring boat (who we pressed into service) had control of the halyard/winch that went to the safety harness I was wearing. He couldn't help pull much because the safety harness isn't exactly comfy. Next time I think we put both halyards to the bosun's chair and one of them up through the safety harness as a backup.

I think someone tailing the main halyard to control the line and help pull while someone else mans the winch would work best. Part of the reason I was shaky by the time I got to the spreaders was because I was gripping the mast with my legs and one hand while pulling myself up a bit with the other hand on the haylyard.

I'm not that heavy but it was ackward enough to need some thinking through while on the ground with the experience in mind so that the next time will be easier. I'll also be sure and have my camera after seeing all the great photos on this thread.

We'll aim for weekend after next which is the next time I'll be there Joe M, wanna help and collect your single malt after (not before!).

One thing that surprised me was that there was hardly any sway at all even though there was a bit of a breeze that kicked up. The other thing that surprised me is that I couldn't convince myself that the mast didn't get more slender at the top like a pine tree, no matter how illogical that thought is.
Ann and David Brownlee

mast climbing

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

I've been to the top the masts of our CD 25, 27 and 31, pulled aloft most times in a bosun's chair by Ann. In truth, I pull most my own weight up the mast, with Ann taking up on the halyard behind me. We *tie* the bosun's chair to the end of the halyard, not wishing to trust the shackle. Once tied off at the proper height, Ann gets well out of the way, lest I drop something and test the penetrating power of a screwdriver at terminal velocity. As others say, always take a light line up with you, with which to pull up a bag or bucket full of the stuff that you only realize you need once you're up top.

David
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
rtbates

many times

Post by rtbates »

I use a pair of mountain climbing ascenders attached to a bosun chair and run a special ascender line(very low stretch and lots of grab for the ascenders) aloft using the jib halyard. Also attached to the bosun chair is the main halyard that someone on deck uses to help me climb. When it's my 4'11" wife on the halyard all she does is take up the slack as I climb. It's very reassuring having two systems keeping me aloft.
Practice, practice is the only way to get comfortable doing this.

Good luck.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
rschattman

Top Climber

Post by rschattman »

A "Top Climber" is the way to go. Its safe, efficient, and you can go solo to the top when and if you need to. Great piece of equipment.
Richard Schattman
-------------------------------------------

Hailing Port: Mallatts Bay, Vermont