Roller Furling for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

adamsjason

Roller Furling for Typhoon

Post by adamsjason »

I will shortly take delivery of a Typhoon. I want to get a roller furling system and new headsail. Does anybody have recomendations for this? I will often sail singlehanded if that makes a difference.
Jason Adams
Ty Williwaw
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

At my sail maker's recommendation, I plan to add a CDI and probably a 135% Genoa.

John
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Dick Villamil

typhoon roller furling

Post by Dick Villamil »

I strongly recommend roller furling - makes it very easy to sail up to a moring in a tight mooring area. I have the CDI #1 and like it a lot. One thing to remember - check out the location of the genoa track blocks - you might need to extend the track forward about 6-8 inches. Yhat is a project for Victoria this summer. You might also sacrifice pointing ability with the outboard sheeted genoa (there is always the possibility of using a barber hauler).
ronkberg

Roller Furling and Lazy Jacks

Post by ronkberg »

Hello, I also plan to add a CDI roller furling and have an new, unused 150 genny that could be modified for this use. Would the recommendation be to size it back to 135 or should I go for as much as possible? Once the CDI is installed then I will not have any use for the hank on original jib, right?

Has anyone added lazy jacks on Typhoons? I installed them and a CDI roller furling on a Hunter 23 and they helped a lot when the need to decrease sail power came up.

Ron
Tom Tucker

Roller Furling Systems for CD Typhoon

Post by Tom Tucker »

I am 69 years young and have been sailing my Typhoon, single handed in the Saint Augustine area for 3 years. If you are a senior citizen and both your belly and upper body strength have sagged, you want to spend as little time as possible on the fore deck while underway. If you can afford it I would recommend a CDI furler and 150 Genoa.

If you cannot afford it, and I could not, I would at least install a good downhall system and stay off the fore deck as much as possible. I used a downhall system for both the standard jib and a 150 Genoa and it worked reasonably well. There were a few times I went forward because I could not resist the temptation to tidy up before entering the marina. I know it was vain and stupid.

I finally puchased a Harken small boat furler and a new jib

. It is reliable and keeps me off the foredeck. Its strong point is price. Its weak point is you cannot use the unit to reef the sail. However, when I hit the lottery one of my first purchases will be a CDI or similiar furler and a new 150 Genoa.

I would recommend you invest in a set of lazy jacks. They help make up for not having a topping lift, and make both raising and lowering the main sail easier and more controlled. Good luck with your Typhoon. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Tom
S/V Sweet Pea
Tom