So what do you figure my mast weighs? As a guess!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

So what do you figure my mast weighs? As a guess!

Post by Gary M »

The project coming up is to lower my mast and carry it over to a place where I can work on it.

The boat is a CD22, and the mast is about, say 26 feet high.

I'm just trying to figure how many guys I need to recruit to carry it about 50 feet or so.

Thanks and wish me luck!

Gary
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Two can carry Linda Jean's mast (CD 27). I bet you can carry CD 22 mast yourself.
Mark Abramski
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: So what do you figure my mast weighs? As a guess!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Go for two helpers and you can just supervise. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Mast weight

Post by Carter Brey »

I carried my CD25 mast around by myself, no problem. It probably weighed about 60 lbs.

The problem is not the weight; the problem is that it turns you into a walking menace, or at best an incipient Laurel and Hardy pratfall. Plan your moves very carefully, especially if you're in a boatyard.

Carter
tartansailor

Mast Weight

Post by tartansailor »

My CD 25 sports the 4.5" X 2.75" CD-3 Spartan mast which weighs 1.49#/ft. So at 26.5' the mast alone weighs 39.5#

Now add winches, wires, castings, cables, ropes and blocks, and you are up to what Carter estimated above.

Refer to Spartan Masts at the "Where to Look" section of this board to get the size and weight of your mast.

Dick
Last edited by tartansailor on Apr 12th, '06, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Dick Villamil

cd mast

Post by Dick Villamil »

Before moving the mast make sure that all standing rigging is secured every 4 or 5 feet - especially the turnbuckles since it is difficult to avoid dragging them on the ground where they will certinly become attached to a snag on the ground - especially when you are trying to turn the mast around a corner! Also - remove the wind vane and unship the spreaders to avoid damage to them. Better yet - get 2 friends to help while you supervise with a cold beer!
Russell

Post by Russell »

I was able to move around the mast of my CD36 with only 2 people, though I never tried moving it more then a few feet. You should have no problems moving it around yourself, but a second person would certainly make it easier!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Thanks to all!!

Post by Gary M »

I'm ready to go, the last of the supplies should be laid in tomorrow or Friday and a long weekend coming up.

One problem.

Saturday is my wife's birthday and Sunday is Easter. What are my chances of working on the boat this weekend? Slim just left town!

OK, next weekend it is!!

Gary