typhoon cdi

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JBA

typhoon cdi

Post by JBA »

Hello all.

I have just gotten a CDI FF2 for my typhoon. I understand the basic assembly directions but need help with measurements for the sailmaker.

1. How far should the top of the halyard top fitting to the pin at the top top of headstay be?
2. The MANUAL says to cut the top of the the luff so that the total luff length 12.25" less than the pin-to-pin length. Why 12.25?
3. The CDI WEBSITE says the distance from the top of the halyard top fitting to the upper stay pin "is the length required to fully close the turnbuckle from fully open without having to cut the luff." What does this mean? Will it give a different measure than #2 above?
4. Finally, does anyone sail without the upper toggle? Seems to me that using the toggle would shorten the sail luff length.

A lot of questions.....Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!!! JBA
Dick Villamil

cdi furler

Post by Dick Villamil »

I installed a CDI FF1 on my Typhoon last year - follow the directions exactly and all will be fine. The FF1 works fine and is a smaller diameter than the FF2 (and 1/2 the price) but works flawlessly. I just used a smaller diameter furling line so it would all fit on the reel. :D