Diesel engine replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

steve einhorn

Diesel engine replacement

Post by steve einhorn »

What should it cost to replace the Westebeke diesel engine I have now for ....say.. a new Yanmar.

I have a CD26.

Thanks
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

Brian2

10k for a Yanmar?

Post by Brian2 »

If it is really 10K for the Yanmar, I would replace it with another Westerbeke. When I called Hansen Marine in MA two years ago I think I was told a new Westerbeke 18 HP was around 6K, but they give a 20% discount on a repower, so it would be $4800.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

Steve asked replacement cost. not just the price of a new engine in a crate. Engine replacement involves a lot of labor and peripherals. New hoses, maybe a new exhaust system and muffler, maybe a new fuel tank, maybe new thru hull fittings, maybe reworking the engine bed and who knows what else...so I'm estimating 5k for the new engine and an additional 5k to get it in the boat and commisioned.
chase

repower cost

Post by chase »

I think the PO of my boat spent well over $8000 repowering with a Yanmar 2GM20. I get the feeling that it is quite a chore installing a V-drive in these boats but that is speculation.

If you plan to sell it, you may well lose money on the deal. He sure did.

Chase
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

About 3 years ago I priced out a repower of my 1980 CD27. It has a YSM8 and I wanted to replace it with a Yanmar 2GMF20. The price of the engine alone was about $5K.

But removing the old engine, redoing the engine bed and mounts, new hoses , perhaps a new seacock, labor, installing the engine itself and the control panel, and, uh, labor, aligning the engine, and, uh, labor, materials and, uh, labor and, uh, did I mention labor.....came out to be about $12K at my yard. I still have the YSM8.

Now my yard is expensive but they do very good work. Again, this was a few years back. I think my post on the subject, (lengthy and detailed) is still in the archives of this board if you want to read it and the responses. :D or :cry:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Brian2

My mistake

Post by Brian2 »

My mistake re the cost of labor. Of course the cost will be more if you need/have the yard do a lot of it. Hoses, seacock, and fuel tank shouldn't add up to too much, but the labor (2 or 3 guys at a time multiplied by the yard labor rate) will add up fast. You could consider a rebuild of your current engine, or maybe you could get the same engine you have now, if available. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a warranty on a rebuild. It is a big job anyway that you go.
Boyd

Why not rebuild?

Post by Boyd »

I rebuilt my 21A in place for about $1500 about 5 years ago. I did a lot of the grunt work myself, being a fairly skilled amateur mechanic and sent the head out to a machine shop. I hired a mechanic to do the more difficult final assembly as I dont have all the tools. She has run ever since and I take real good care of her. The PO pretty much trashed the engine by running it at the dock to charge batteries.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Diesel engine replacement--Beta Marine

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Steve,
steve einhorn wrote:What should it cost to replace the Westebeke diesel engine I have now for ....say.. a new Yanmar.

I have a CD26.

Thanks
While looking for a new engine, don't forget to consider Beta Marine. As a Cape Dory owner you're eligible for a discount if you purchase it through Ben Thomas of Oregon Marine Industries. Anyway, you may want to get a quote from them. See below:

Oregon Marine Industries : Oregon dealer for Beta-Marine diesel engines and generators offers a 10% discount to Cape Dory owners, 15% discount to CDSOA members, on engines and all their available options. The engines can be drop-shipped to your location, anywhere in the continental U.S., from the main distributor in North Carolina. Oregon Marine Industries can be contacted by calling Ben Thomas at 503-629-5370 or by writing to Ben at Oregon Marine Industries, PO Box 91387, Portland, OR 97291. E-mail: omi@integraonline.com

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 7th, '06, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

I have an M30 being evaluated for replacement currently....

Post by Chris Reinke »

I pulled the M30 from my CD330 a few weeks ago and dropped it off at Hansen Marine earlier this week. She is a bit tired and they are doing a full "bench test" to see how she is holding up. The bench test is only $200 and the cost would be applied to a replacement should we decide to replace her. After a preliminary review it looks like we will be reconditioning the old lady and putting her back in. She has great compression on all 3 cylinders and I already replaced the transmission when I purchased the boat 5 years ago. The reconditioning includes replacement of all hoses and gaskets, sand blasting, repainting, new water pump, new alternator, new oil pan, new glow plugs. A new replacement was quoted at $8500, excluding any installation. I figured I was able to pull the old one out....I could drop a new one in as long as it is a similar configuration.
Brian2

rebuild punch list

Post by Brian2 »

In preparing for a possible rebuild in the future, I have started a list of things to ask about. I didn't come up with this off the top of my head, I don't have that much knowledge, that is why I have been keeping track of my thoughts as they occur.
Get a written quote, and go over the quote with the rebuilder to understand exactly what it covers. Be sure that the quote says that the engine will be returned in in running condition.

From my preparation sheet:
An engine rebuild should replace all moving parts, the head and block are planed flat, the cylinders are bored or new liner sleeves and pistons are installed, and the bearing journals aligned and honed.
Rebuilding starts with the short block (the cast iron unit with the crankshaft running through it), the head with the valves and rocker arms, and the intake and exhaust manifolds. That is the basic motor.
Also, the high pressure fuel pump, lift pump, injectors, the cooling system’s header tank, freshwater pump, heat exchanger, saltwater pump, oil cooler and hoses, gearbox and drive plate, the starter motor, alternator, solenoids, glow plugs and preheat system, engine sensors and gauges.
The quote should also include cleaning, testing and refitting all bolt on systems. Only the faulty ones should be sent out for repair.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

We replaced the Universal in our CD33 last year with a Yanmar 3YM30. The total cost, not including replacing any other systems, and not including storage or hauling fees, was $16,800. The engine itself was $7,300 plus $85 for dealer prep and $150 for freight. Labor came to $5,356, other materials was $2,880, sales taxes $508, and other services (forklift) $120. After completion we found we needed to replace the prop. The $400 for the prop is included in the total.

The difference in boat and engine size might mean a proportional reduction in those costs.

Al
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

We bought Linda Jean shortly after Warren posted his informative thread on cd 27 repower. Before reading his thread I had intended to repower. After his reality check, I bough Jim Stull's old YSM-8 for parts and had my YSM-8 completely rebuilt at a cost of around $3K.

This included all new gaskets, hoses, engine mounts etc. and fabrication of an oil line (I think) that just can't be bought again. The good news is, so far, the rebuilt engine runs great and completely serves our needs.

After three years of boat ownership and doing more than a little refurb work myself, I wouldn't pay a repair yard another nickel. If I had to repower, I'd buy the engine and put it in myself. It's a little work but certainly not rocket science.
Mark Abramski
mike feeney

md7a

Post by mike feeney »

We had our md7a rebuilt last year for about $4,500. We pulled and replaced it ourselves (except for the alligning) which proved to be a rewarding experience, both financially and for the opportunity to become very intimate with the little beast.
Mike Feeney

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows
Dick Barthel

Beta 13.5

Post by Dick Barthel »

Steve,

Certainly the cheapest way to go is a rebuild with you doing the removal and install. However, using Mike's number of $4500 for a rebuild, you can buy a new motor for another $1,000. The problem is you'd probably have to pay another $4,000 or so for the installation. Unless you're a pretty fair mechanic, I don't think installing a new engine is a do it yourself project. I beleive there is also an issue of having the installation certified to validate the warranty.

However, if you decide to repower, I would consider the Beta Marine 13.5 (Kubuta). I just had one put in my 1984 25D that replaced a 1GM 6.5hp Yanmar. I think the 25D and the 26D are nearly identical. The Beta fit in with minimal modification to the engine bed and is about the same size and only few pounds heavier than the Yanmar. The Beta is fresh water cooled and has two cylinders so it is much smoother with twice the hp and its set up for easy maintenance. I know the same engine has also been installed in CD27s.

As Cathy points out you can get your Beta motor from a board member at considerable savings. I was billed for 55 labor hours for everything. So it is possible to have a new engine job done for around $10K. I paid more to get some upgrades done like a full gauge instrument panel, new shaft, dripless stuffing box, etc. You might be able to find a good mechanic that will let you do some of the work or be his assistant to shave some $$.

If you would like some more info, send me an email and I’ll send you some pictures.

Dick