Where to mount radar dome?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JimL

Poor man's gimballed radar mount.

Post by JimL »

After looking at the cost of gimballed, dampened, radar mounts....I realized I could use a silicon coupling from an automobile cooling fan. They have a 4-bolt center pattern, on the mount (for the front of the water pump). There is a larger 4-bolt pattern around the edge of the silicone coupling container.

I could make a support plate to carry the antenna below the pivot point. This provides a simple dampened side-swinging mount. The fins could be ground off to make the unit look a little cleaner....they're made of aluminum, so no need to paint.

Unfortunately, the new radar project evaporated as fast as the money did!! Perhaps this idea could save someone some bucks (about 800, as I recall). Expect to pay about $10 for a silicone coupling at the "pick-a-part".

Regards, JimL
JimL

One more note on the silicone dampened coupling...

Post by JimL »

Most units have a screw in the side for filling the silicone. You can get the silicone fluid at Radio Control Car hobby shops....they have different weights for the shock absorbers.