CD30 Purchase Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

CD30 Purchase Advice

Post by Kent Martin »

All,

I am considering making an offer for a 1981 CD30. I have been quite taken with the Cape Dory/ Allberg legend, and this seems to be the only CD in my immediate area. I have looked at it pretty closely once, and found it to be pretty darn neat, but with some issues. It has a 2003 survey, of which I have pages 7-9 of 10, apparently due to a fax machine problem of the broker. It points out some issues on the engine, hull blisters (not a page I have yet seen), head issues, and the running rigging is in awful condition. I do not think it has been sailed much in the last couple of years.
I will be having a diver examine the bottom, and a mechanic go through the engine. What other things should I specifcally be looking for to determine what must be done to bring this girl back to condition? For example, are there known problem points to look for? O'days, for instance, leak badly around the chainplates, and the boweye rots through.

Also, she is offered at $39,900, which seems to be quite fully priced, given that she is less than mint condition.

You can find the ad for her in the "boats for sale" section of www.yachtworld.com, just search for CDs in Texas. She is the only one listed in Houston.

Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Kent
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD30 Purchase Advice

Post by Neil Gordon »

You can probably get a copy of the missing page from the surveyor, but I'd get my own survey done. The most likely outcome is that the new survey will more than pay for itself in bargaining power.

I'm not sure what a diver will find. When I bought LIQUIDITY, we had her short hauled for inspection.

Common Cape Dory problems include deck delamination and wet core. Again, it's more bargaining for a lower purchase price than a fatal flaw.

Price seems on the high end, especially given the condition you describe. Does the boat come with lots of goodies or is it relatively bare?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Get your own survey, and have her hauled

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'd second Neil's suggestion.

Rather than paying for a mechanic and for a diver, I would suggest you have your own survey taken. The surveyor will probably want to haul the boat, too.

If you say you're thinking about hiring a diver, but you say she hasn't been sailed for a while, does this mean that the boat has been sitting in the water for several years without being sailed? This could have something to do with the blisters.

Your survey would probably pay for itself in a number of ways: You'll need it if you want to insure the boat; it could help you with negotiations for a more realistic price (remember, that asking price is just that). Or, in the worst case, the surveyor might simply suggest you walk away--that happened to me when I was looking at boats, and it was the best $150 (the surveyor's minimum charge) that I ever spent.

At any rate, best of luck in your search. Keep us posted.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Kent, are you aware that for a minimal amount of $$$ you can buy a much younger CD-330, Adalee, a superior boat to the CD-30, probably for 2K or so you can have it trucked from Miss. to TX. and you would have a heck of a lot more boat. Check out this Adalee, a survivor from Katrina.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

Thanks for the good advice gentlemen. I will be calling a surveyor tomorrow.

Neil, in answer to your question, she does have a basic electronics package, including a Datamarine, and an Autohelm 4000, but I would question how good condition they are. Other than that, not too many toys. Her main selling point seems to be that she is VERY clean below and topsides. She is really quite pretty, but I am worried about falling into a moneypit that looks nice on the dock, but will require a 2nd mortgage on the house to get her sailing properly. I learned my moneypit lessons on a beautiful Ford Bronco ll in college, and don't want to repeat that mistake.

Thanks again,
Kent
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

Zeida,

I haven't seen anything about it, where can I find information about her?

Kent
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

Never mind, found her....
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Kent,
Besides what has been suggested get a surveyor to include an engine oil analysis test and have him use a moisture meter in suspect areas of gelcoat cracks.Especially the cockpit sole and handrails on the cabintop.That listing price sounds high.
________
Honda n360 specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Purchase price

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Kent,
At first blush, I'd surmise the asking price on this boat is too high. As you page through the asking prices of CD-30's listed in Yachtworld or Boattraderonline, the asking prices seem to be in the 30-35K range. I would expect these boats to actually sell for about 5K less than the asking price. In other words, you should be able to a nice CD-30 for about 30 thousand dollars.
That said, prices for CD's increase as you go west. The difference is very close to the cost of transporting the boat form the east coast to a more westerly location.
Upgrades such as self tailing winches, newer sails and more modern electronics can add perhaps $2000 to the value of the boat.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Efrost
Virginia Beach, VA

78 CD 30 ad

Post by Efrost »

Just for Info This add is running in a local Norfolk VA Paper.

Cape Dory Intrepid 30' 1978 custom North Main & Gennaker, Mylar, 150, Yanmar 15hp, new cushions, teak int., slip fees paid up to May 2006. Reduced. $17,000. 409-7555
Ed
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

The Intrepid 30 is quite a different boat though.

Paul
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Kent,
I purchased a 1985 CD 30 in fairly good condition in Kemah for 33K in January of this year, so 39,900 does seem a little high to me. Concur with all that recommend a full survey to include a pullout. If you don't have a surveyor yet I most highly recommend Lou Stahlberg (LHS Marine in League City) Lou showed up at 6 AM, worked until 5 PM, and crawled into places that I didn't think a human body could go in a Cape Dory. His report was absolutely thorough, and he did it all for $12 a foot. Whatever you do, if you buy a Cape Dory you will love it.

Steve Kuhar,
CD 30 "B" Aikane, Pensacola, Fl.
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

All,

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have now expanded my search considerably, and have settled into a longer time horizon and trying to do this correctly. This is a wonderful board and community!

I will update again once I have settled into a new CD!

Thanks again,
Kent