bulkhead compass installation on a CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Fallin

bulkhead compass installation on a CD25

Post by Doug Fallin »

I have a flush vertical mount suunto bulkhead compass. It measure 3 1/2" in diameter and sits 2 1/2" into the hole. I am contemplating its placement.

Can I install it on the port side companionway bulkhead? I like this side because of the setback for the electrical panel. But will the electrical panel with all the wires effect the compass? Where is the best location for such a beast?
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Doug,

You might want to consider installing the compass in the compainionway. Make a duplicate, of sufficient height, of the lower drop broard from your choice of material. Make hole, insert compass, rig removable wiring for compass light. That way you can store the compass below when the boat is unattended, keeps it out of the weather and sunlight and centers it on the boat.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Didereaux

absolutely, what Fred said....

Post by Didereaux »

I removed my bulkhead and reinstalled on the lower washboard as Fred describes. Wouldn't change it for anything. Easy to read, safe when gone, and all the other reasons given. DO IT! ;)
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Doug Fallin

Thank you

Post by Doug Fallin »

Thanks for the suggestions on mounting my compass. I like the idea of mounting it on center and the removability factor. I also didn't like the idea of sawing a hole in the boat.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Please forgive this probably dumb question from a "tadpole" sailor and Cape Dory owner wannabe.

If you put the compass in a companionway duplicate hatchboard doesn't that make it more difficult to access the cabin? Would you not have to remove this hatchboard every time you needed to go below - for example to obtain a glass of milk (or a beer)? :wink:

If the compass is wired to the battery for the compass light, wouldn't you have to remove this also each time you removed the hatchboard?

Again, apologies from a "newbie". It is indeed a steep learning curve, especially when you are intellectually challenged as I am (as am I?)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Didereaux

Sea Hunt, no dramas, you...

Post by Didereaux »

The lower board is easily stepped over. For electrical you simply use connectors. The water proof trailer brake type works well.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Steve Laume

Back rest

Post by Steve Laume »

There may be many good reasons to mount the compass in the hatch board but the primary reason is that the bulkhead is the best back rest on the entire boat. A compass mounted on the bulkhead does not work for a pillow or lumbar support. Besides that you would constantly be telling your crew to move so you can see the compass. We had the hatch board set up on the Typhoon and most of the time it stayed wrapped up down below. Day sailing in our home waters we seldom had a need for the compass, Steve.
tartansailor

Pic of how I did mine

Post by tartansailor »

Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam