cd 14 #165

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

cd 14 #165

Post by Jimbo »

Would anyone have an idea of the year it was made ? Thanx, Jimbo
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Jimbo,

If you're real lucky you'll find a HIN (hull identification number) on the stern of your boat. It should be located in the upper right corner of the transom. Then CLICK HERE to decipher the HIN.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

not that lucky

Post by Jimbo »

Unfortunately good intentions and a grinder by the p.o. removed that option. All I have is a tag in the cockpit with the hull # I was hoping someone with a close # would have a clue.
jimbo
Steve Laume

Your boat is probably a child of the 60's

Post by Steve Laume »

Jimbo, Cape Dory Boats was founded in 1963 with the CD-10 being the first model built. The Cd-14 was next in line I believe. HID numbers were not required until 1972 so I doubt if your boat ever had one. I have a CD-30 hull#63 so I have assumed it was built in the first few years of boat building, making it a 64 or 65. I don't know how many boats were being made per year durring that time period. I just tell people she is over 40 years old and that is close enough to impress, given the way she looks. It may be a bit harder to judge the exact age of your boat but I think you could very safely say she was built in the 60's. Forty seems about right unless I am mistaken and Cape Dory didn't start making the CD-14 until later but I think not. The Typhoon came onto the scene in the late 60's so I would be willing to bet they had well over a couple of hundred CD-14s under their belt before they tackled a TY. The CD-14 is a great boat. Make sure to get some long oars (7&1/2FT or longer) worthy of the boat and it is an absolute joy to row, Steve.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

...And just to make things more interesting. Cape Dory also built the Handy Cat, also a 14-footer. It has a gaff-rig and "HC" on the mainsail if the boat still has the original sails. I know they were building them in the 70s but I don't know when they actually starting building them either.

Cathy