Cleaning/degreasing engine and bilge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

Cleaning/degreasing engine and bilge

Post by RichMason »

I don't think the engine or bilge on my boat has been cleaned in many years. I have had a small oil leak and fuel leaks since I purchased the boat (since repaired) so there is plenty of crud in these areas. I would like to spray the whole thing down with degreaser and hoes it off, using the bilge pump to remove the mess but there are obvious environmental concerns...even when she is on the hard. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this? I guess I can save the water in 5 gallon buckets but even then I'm not sure what to do with it.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Mason
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Cleaning/degreasing engine and bilge

Post by Neil Gordon »

You might try a handheld steam cleaner. Way less water and the grease will be blasted off but not emulsified. Wipe the surfaces after steaming and they'll be clean. The limited water that settles in the bilge will have an oil slick on top that you can skim off.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
nikon4004

Engine cleaning

Post by nikon4004 »

I've used a product called Steam fomr the local auto stores on my car. Let the engine get hoe, spray it on and hose it off or wipe it off. BIodegradable adn works well

Steve
Boatless in Ohio, but not for long!
Steve
Nikon3003
Lorain Ohio
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey... Neil is right, you can try engine brite that is in all auto stores and walmart. it works pretty good....
rtbates

Simple Green

Post by rtbates »

You might try Simple Green. I've used it to degrease my car's engine. It's biodegradable. BUT as with all cleaners, the oil it removes, will definetely leave a sheen if discharged overboard.

good luck
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Tom Keevil

oil discharges

Post by Tom Keevil »

The cleaner you use may be biodegradable, but the oil it emulsifies is not. These things don't destroy the oil, they just act like a detergent to suspend it in the water in small droplets. Discharged into the water it is still the same oil, and still not legal (or ethical). Once the cleaner molecules degrade, it is an oil slick. Before they degrade the tiny droplets are bad news for all sorts of marine critters. I believe the fine is $10,000.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Cleaning And Degreasing Engine And Bilge

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know for sure if what I do is legal or not. I use paper towels dipped in paint thinner and wipe the heavier scuzz off and throw the towels in a pail. I try to use the least amount of water as possible. Next, I scrub the engine with a stiff bristle brush and engine cleaner.

As the residue drips and runs, I try to wipe up as much as is practical with towels. Finally, I spray household cleaner, Lysol, Mr Clean, Top Job, etc on the hull and rinse with a sponge wet with water. Any extra rinse water runs into the bilge. If there is just a little water/oil, I sponge it all up with paper towels.

If there is a lot of water, let it rest until all the oil floats to the top and then I try to sop up as much oil as I can with towels. Where I live, we're allowed to have a burn pit. I get a hot fire going and lay the oily towels in the fire.

Let's face it, how often does one have to clean up a motor and bilge with this much oil and dirt. It shouldn't be allowed to build up to this condition as long as he owns the boat. Of course, buying anothers boat is a different story. One of th first things one should do is give it a good cleaning.

Think spring,

O J
Steve Laume

oily rags

Post by Steve Laume »

Just a caution about those oily rags. Any rags that are soaked with thinner and oil should be treated with caution. Either lay them out to air and prevent possible heat build up or put them in a air tight metal container. It would be an incredible tragedy to have spontaneous combustion burn up your nice clean engine and the boat it was contained in or anything else for that matter. I am planning some engine cleaning and touch up painting. I figure if it looks good it will run better, Steve.
Steve Laume

Hand steamer

Post by Steve Laume »

Well I have used Engine Bright on some tractors before painting. That is some nasty stuff that I always feel guilty using it even on dry land. I checked the biodegradable stuff out yesterday and it said not to use it on rubber parts!? These products just seem a bit too harsh for a boat that will soon see a marine environment. The paint thinner and household cleaners with lots of clean rags are my method of choice thus far. I am really curious about the hand held steam cleaner. Just what is this thing and were does one find one? Would a new metal gas can or tea pot with some water in it and a hose on the spout set on the stove do the trick? There sure are a lot of little nooks and crannys on an engine, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Hand steamer

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:Just what is this thing and were does one find one?
Hand held steamers can be found through Google.

You can generate steam from a teapot hose arrangement, but I'm not sure you'll get the pressure needed for blasting oily grime.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Boyd

Degreasing the engine

Post by Boyd »

Hi All:

I didnt worry at all about the bio or other hazard when I cleaned my engine and bilge. I disabled the bilge pump and vacuumed out the mess with a wet/dry vacuum in stages. Clean with degreaser, rinse with the hose, vacuum, repeat. Having the soapy stuff set in the bilge a while helped clean it up also. I find a toilet brush and a smaller plastic bottle brush ideal for getting into those nasty crevices. While you are at it clean the bilge real well and after drying put a coat of nice shinny bilge coat on it. Sure makes cleanup easier in the future.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.