Got a Navik windvane for my CD-25...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

Stephan aka Santa....

Post by Didereaux »

Stephan,
If you were Ol' Nick himself you couldn't have done better<grin>. I received the engineering dwgs fro the CZD-25 Navik install today from Scanmar(they quit handling Navik last fall, dollar exchange or some such); together with your excellent photos I won't have to kill a single graycell on this whole thing. heh

One thing that the guidebook does not explain, nor show is just how they are disabling the vane while tiller steering. They mention a pin, but show, nor explain nothing. Any help along those lines would be welcome. And of course any iniosyncrasies you ran into.

But again, what you have provided is bounty enough!
did
btw you are close enough, if you ever get down Galveston/Clear Lake way, for cryin' out loud drop me a note...I owe you! heh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Stephan Howden
Mandeville, LA

Navik Installation

Post by Stephan Howden »

Glad that the photos were useful. There is a trick to disabling the wind vane that is not clearly explained in the users manual. Obviously, the line is detached from the tiller. The previous owner, who installed the Navik, would then undo the latch so that the blade could be swung up and then he would attach a line that would keep it somewhat out of the water. By fooling around with it I realized that the pole with the blade could be lifted up, rotated 180 deg, and hooked to a bar on the Navik. I will have to go down to the boat to remember exactly how I did it so that I can describe it properly.

Thanks for the offer! I occasionally travel to Houston, but I have never been over to Galveston. If you are ever in the Mandeville area look me up.
-Stephan