Sunbrella Colors and Fading

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jack

Sunbrella Colors and Fading

Post by Jack »

It is about time to redo our bimini and dodger. We used "forrest green" for the last ones and got about 5 years before the color began to fade noticably from the Florida sun. I have heard that some colors of sunbrella are much more resistant to fading, than others.

Can anyone speak to this issue? Thanks.
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hi there,

Brighter colors will fade faster, as will any reds. Sunbrella 'brown' actually darkens in the sun though. We are slowly transitioning to toast - that doesn't seem to be affected much.

You can slow the process down with 303 Fabric Guard, which :
(from sailrite's site):

303 Fabric Guard Provides:
Unsurpassed water & oil repellency
Highly recommended for Sunbrella
Superior stain resistance & soil release characteristics
Durable protection lasting up to 3 years
UV Screening to control fading
Will not alter the color, feel, flammability, or breathability of fabric
Resists mildew formation
Environmentally Safe
Fluoropolymer based
No Ozone Depleting Solvents
Non-toxic & odorless when dry

We do that once a season.

Note the this is different from the 303 UV protectorant, which specifically says not to use on Sunbrella.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Sumbrella

Post by s.v. LaVida »

I actually had a fading problem with the sumbrella brown a few years ago. To the companies credit they sent someone out to examine it, take samples and test them.

After testing they replaced "the fabric only" on my boat, which fortunately had all been done at the same time. The cost of redoing the dodger, lee coths and sail cover was mine.

However during the conversation, he told me that the warranty on the fabric would be void if I used any sort of chemical on it.

I told him Sumbrella would make a fortune if they made a color coordinated spray to revitalize their fabric. He said they wouldn't.

So I guess the plan would be to use your sumbrella until the warranty runs out, then spray the heck out of it.

Rit
Jack

Post by Jack »

Melissa,

Thanks for the reply. We actually used the 303 (at 75.00 a gallon) twice a year. I was told that Sunbrella would replace the "fabric only" if we had removed an sent to them. We opted to just let it go for as long as we could. The fabric/stiching is still good, it is just that the color has faded to a grayish green.

We have heard that lighter colors do fade more, but that "toast" and "black" were two of the better colors that would resist fading.

How has you luck been with the toast?

PS: I have also heard from many that "Waterseal" does the same thing as the 303, although it voids the Sunbrella warranty.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

TOAST

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Toast is the Coast Guard color of Sunbrella. Maybe they have a special formulation? We have patched our old toast bimini with new Sunbrella and you really have to look hard to see a difference in the color. I don't know how old the bimini is, but 10 years in AL and NC is probably about right. We do remove most of the canvas for hurricanes and Winter.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
jerryaxler

sunbrella

Post by jerryaxler »

We switched to toast and the fading is not noticable. In addition it is most certainly cooler than the dark shades.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
mahalocd36

toast

Post by mahalocd36 »

Jack wrote:Melissa,
How has you luck been with the toast?
So far so good with the toast. Also good luck with 'walnut brown tweed', which I picked up when I couldn't find brown (before switching to toast). I made winch covers, anchor rode covers, and mast boot covers with that and that's been 4 years and they still look new.

The only thing I don't like with toast is working with it - any creases/bends turn whitish. The color seems to smooth out over time but it's noticeable when it's new. I didn't have that problem when working with brown, walnut brown, mediterranean tweed.
It's hard not to crease it as it's so stiff when it's new. I'm making a new dodger with toast as we speak.

The lighter colors are cooler. One charter boat we were on had navy for the bimini and we roasted. However that seems to hold up - the boat next to ours has a dodger of navy - it's at least 4 years now and it still looks good.

So many color choices - I have their color card - they have 58 colors!
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Bill Sonntag

Post by Bill Sonntag »

I've found that Cadet Grey looks good and if it fades, you basically can't notice it. Dark brown on boats is..........

Bill Sonntag
Surprise
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Does anyone care to share a good source for buying Sunbrella ? Thanks,
________
Mercedes-Benz G-Class History
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
rtbates

5 years with burgundy

Post by rtbates »

All of Seraph canvas is burgundy sunbrella. Some of it is 5years old some is 1 year old. There is absolutely no visible difference in color. I spary with 303 every 6 months. We get our sunbrella from Sailrite.
If you're doing your own sewing pay particular attention to your thread. Be sure to get the UV protected thread.
Randy 25D Seraph #161