fifteen minutes of fame....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

viejo

fifteen minutes of fame....

Post by viejo »

Everyone gets their fifteen minutes, this was mine.

It's also the boat I NEVER should have let go......

http://www.billhardie.net/fame/15_minutes.htm
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bill,

Any chance we could get permission to reproduce that article on our web site? We'd put it, or a link to it, in our "Magazine Articles & Reviews" section of "Where to Look".

Thanks,
CDSOA Webmaster
viejo

Post by viejo »

I don't see why not.

I don't think Motor Boat and Yachting is being published anymore, so I doubt that there would be copyright issues. I've had it up on my site for about a year, and no one has threatened me yet.
viejo

Post by viejo »

Okay, I'm getting old. For some reason it was stuck in my mind that the magazine was MOTOR BOAT AND YACHTING, and it was in fact MOTOR BOATING AND SAILING. MB&Y is still around, MB&S I believe is not.

At any rate, it was published in June of 1987.

If you discover that MB&S is still around (a google search didn't turn them up), and they have a problem with my re-publishing the article on the web, I'll pull it, but I doubt they're still around. The author was one of the editors of the magazine.

EDIT: and NOW I know I'm getting old. When I started to type this response, there was another reply from Cathy after my previous post, when I posted this reponse initially, all of a sudden that post is gone. A truely magic message board, I see.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Cape Dory 26 article

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bill,

You're not going crazy. I did post a reply and immediately decided that I didn't want it since I also noticed the magazine I was referring to (MB&Y) wasn't the correct one. It's amazing that you even saw it!

So if it's okay with you, I'll make it accessible from our web site.

Cathy
viejo

Post by viejo »

:::breathing a LARGE sigh of relief:::

It's okay with me, feel free. Are you going to link to my pages, or just the image of the article (if so, please also do the photo as it was the facing page in the magazine).
Brian Johnson
Wilmington, NC

Famed CD26D spotted in Mediterranean

Post by Brian Johnson »

Hi Bill,
I just thought I would update you on the where abouts of your CD26D. Windstar, formally Laurel Ann, now resides in Wilmington, NC. I have recently relocated here and she is on the hard right now. Windstar is a now a world traveler and has tasted the salty waters of the Mediterranean. I was in the Navy and was transferred to Naples, IT shortly after purchasing her in St. Marys, GA. Windstar spent 3+ years in the waters surrounding the bay of Naples before returning to the states with me.

You can view a few photos of Windstar in Italy at the following link. Note Mt. Vesuvius in the upper left corner of the first photo. Also note the parallel parking version of moorings.

Photo of Windstar
Link modified by webmaster.
I enjoyed reading the MB&S article and I agree that she is a great boat.
Brian Johnson
viejo

Post by viejo »

Brian, I'm glad you're enjoying her. You bought her about an hour before I had the money to give to Clarence's widow to buy her back.

Lucky you.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to sell her back to me?

:::pleasepleasepleaseplease:::

If not, no hard feelings, I can see she's being well cared for.

I'll have to try the link later, I'm having to have my snapfish password mailed to me.
viejo

Post by viejo »

[img]http://www.billhardie.net/images/sailing/cd26_1.jpg[/img]

At the risk of it appearing that I'm talking to myself, I really like this picture of the boat. The wind was gusting to over 40 knots that day, and the shot was taken during a single-handed race in which I completed a 12 mile course in less that two hours.