Mushroom mooring for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Villamil

Mushroom mooring for Typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mushroom mooring size for a Typhoon in moderately protected fresh water lake where the waves might get to 2 feet and winds may reach 20-30 nots on occasion?
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I kept the Typhoon that I owned for over 14 years on a 150 pound mushroom. I never had a problem. The conditions were much like you have described for your area. I would not go less than 150 lbs. It is important to have sufficient scope for the mooring chain(s) and pennant based on depth of water at mooring location and tidal changes if applicable. When I bought a CD22D, I upgraded the mushroom to 250 lbs. You may wish to purchase a heavier mushroom than actually needed if you plan on moving up from the Ty in the near future. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Jim
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Maybe this will help.

AHYC recommended minimum sizes for anchors, chain and pendants.

You local yacht clubs should have something similar.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Check your local regs; 150 lbs. should be OK

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dick,

You should check with the local community's Dept. of Natural Resources or harbormaster. Most towns, in New England at least, have regulations or, in a few cases, recommendations (like Cathy's AHYC table).

In my own town of Bourne, Mass., I used a 150-lb. mushroom for my 18-foot catboat; I went up to 300 lbs. for the 25D. In both cases, I followed town regulations, and in both cases the mushrooms proved adequate for a marine anchorage with tides, winds and so forth (not usually high waves, but sometimes up to 2.5 feet in bad storms).

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

The nature of the bottom which ultimately "holds" the anchor is an important determinant . A relatively light mushroom will hold well in muck but not so well on a harder bottom. I would ask the locals who have had boats in the same area over multiple years of weather conditions. I have a 100 lb mushroom for my Ty but it is in goo so sticky that I can't even get my wader loose if I stand in it. I has held well in gale conditions but it is a very well protected small harbor.
Appleton68

150 LB

Post by Appleton68 »

I have used a 150 lb mushroom on my Weekender and it has worked well. The weight was chosen by the local mooring company when I first put the boat in about 20 years ago. I have a mud bottom in the harbor.
Greg
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Sticky mud!

Post by Joe Myerson »

I should have added that the bottom where I keep my mooring is gooy, sticky mud (more like muck, actually).

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Villamil

Typhoon mooring

Post by Dick Villamil »

Thanks everyone - I will look for a 150 pounder and extra heavy chain since I do not want to pull the mooring very often!