25 with outboard well

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Barney

25 with outboard well

Post by Barney »

I am narrowing down my search for a boat and I like the 25's.
The question I have is : Does the outboard in the well slow you down while sailing, acting as a drag and what problems have you encountered with it? Also, the older models without broze ports,
can the big plastic and stainless steel ports be replaced?

My previous boats with outboards were mounted on the stern and could be lifted. Thanks
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

25 With Outboard Well

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Barney,

Will an outboard in place in the motor well create drag? Sure it will. Anything that's contrary to smooth hull lines will catch some water and produce drag.

The lower shaft and gear case in the water are somewhat streamlined to reduce drag. The prop of an outboard motor that will fit in a CD25 well will create much less drag than that of a two or three bladed prop of an inboard auxiliary, which, by the way, is also continuously immersed under water.

O J
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Outboard in a well

Post by Peter Kozup »

Barney,
I have a CD26 with the same situation, an outboard in a well, much like your CD25. There are some pluses to the outboard in a well, e.g., appearance is better, people can sit on the stern as you have room there. My cockpit is small and any additional places for people to sit safely is helpful.
The main problem, at least on my boat and on others that I have heard of, is that the motor tends to be oxygen starved as exhaust fumes will tend to fill the well area and the motor will not run as well. If you search the archives of this board you will find other references to this, including some ways to correct it. When I motor for any period of time at all I do so with the well cover held open so that oxygen can get to the motor.
Still, the CD25 is a good boat and I almost bought one but elected to go for the CD26 which has full standing headroom.
Good luck in your search.
Peter K.