Sail Covers - Camparing Quotes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Sonntag

Sail Covers - Camparing Quotes

Post by Bill Sonntag »

I need to replace the mail sail and working jib sail covers for my CD31.

10 years have gone by, the sail covers are in faded tatters. I received a local loft quote for about $500 for a new mainsail cover. Its for a cover made of Sunbrella, Cadet Grey (a standard color) nothing fancy.

Has anyone been pricing covers lately? Any good sources for well priced covers?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Sonntag
CD 31 Surprise

Spring Training and Spring Commissioning - they're coming up soon!!
Ed Haley

Sunbrella Main cover

Post by Ed Haley »

I just picked mine up. I had it made by a Canadian sailmaker in Kingston, Ontario. It was for my CD330. I had the zippered sunbrella cloth at the mast and tied at the end of the boom. It had the familiar twist buttons underneath. I also had the sailmaker add 4 inches to the width of the cover so it would remain loose on my newer main. There are no cutouts for lazy jacks since I store my lines parallel to the boom after the main is secured.

Cost was $250 US.

If you want to get in toich with him, give Andy Soper or John Clark a call at Kingston Sail Loft - (613) 531-9373. Mention my name and he'll know it's for a Cape Dory. You can choose any color you want.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

If you have access to a home sewing machine, you may want to make your own. I have made, modified, and repaired much of the canvas aboard CARINA, our CD31. On the dinning room table is the half complete main sail cover for our "new" KnoTy Boy. I would think you could build a cover for your boat for about $200. A great book on the subject is The Complete Canvasworker's Guide , 2nd Ed, by Jim Grant, available from Sailrite.

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985