Typhoon compression post

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Martin

Typhoon compression post

Post by John Martin »

Just got back from the lake. Friday was good, but Saturday and Sunday cold, rain, fog, wind.
On Friday I installed a new compression post on KnoTy Boy. Thanks to all of the previous post for ideas. I used two length of s/s tubing, 1 1/4" by 18" and a length of s/s threaded rod 1" by 34", and two 1" s/s nuts. I plumbed a line from the bottom of the mast step inside the boat to the porta-poti floor, and drilled a hole 1 3/8" to access the keel. Put the two nuts in the middle of the threaded rod and the tubing on either end of the rod. A 4"x5" backing plate on top and bottom of the post, a little tension, and instant compression post. The whole project took a couple of hours, cost about $40 (got the threaded rod for free), and seems to work perfectly. There is still some refining to do. We plan to add a Dwyer s/s deck halyard organizer plate under the mast step. All in all, a good day at the boat.

John
KnoTy Boy
Ty #1655
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sounds clean and effective, now where does the potta pottie go? One thing leads to another, steve.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

The portta-potti on KnoTy Boy is a bucket. John
Nancy Martin
Location: Cape Dory 31, Hull #85, "Carina", Typhoon, Hull #1655, "KnoTy Boy", Atlanta, GA

Typhoon Pottie

Post by Nancy Martin »

Can you believe he is actually expecting me to use a bucket???? :oops:
Women on this board....help me !
Nancy
Nancy & John Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
Typhoon #1655 "KnoTy Boy" 1979
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
www.carina31.blogspot.com
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

When we were getting our Typhoon together Margaret didn't seem happy with the bucket idea either. After exhausting my time and money on the boat I told her I didn't want to spend any more. She became the proud owner of her first piece of boating gear; a potta pottie. I did install and maintain it.
White water rafters have some pretty deluxe bucket set ups with seats.
Growing up we did a lot of fishing and diving in Delaware. Our boats never had a head and my mother (bless her soul) would use a coffee can! Be glad you have a nice comfy bucket. That may also be the reason I don't remember my mom on a lot of long off shore trips. With the bucket you could imagine yourself a Vendee Globe racer in the Southern Ocean, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey, sounds like mine, and it does work...winthrop
Steve Laume

Re: Typhoon Pottie

Post by Steve Laume »

Nancy Martin wrote:Can you believe he is actually expecting me to use a bucket???? :oops:
Women on this board....help me !
Nancy
Geez Nancy, not much sympathy on this board. You need a potta pottie and some one to hold the towel in front of the companion way while you use it. Not much privacy on a TY, Steve.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Steve,
I just showed Nancy your post about the coffee can. The bucket now looks good. However, she can walk down the dock a few feet to our CD21 'CARINA' to a real head with hot and cold running water. John
Al Levesque

Is bucket legal?

Post by Al Levesque »

Here in the NE it is not legal to dump the bucket or the coffee can overboard. The only thing we have left is going directly overboard. I would hate to have an open bucket sloshing while under way.
rtbates

Al?

Post by rtbates »

Al wrote
Here in the NE it is not legal to dump the bucket or the coffee can overboard. The only thing we have left is going directly overboard. I would hate to have an open bucket sloshing while under way.
What's the difference? Both are 100% untreated waste material. Only difference I see is that one is spread over a wider area. Just dump the bucket a little at a time!

Someone makes a device that allows women to pee standing up! It's basically an oval funnel with an angled spout. Years ago a girlfriend of mine had one and used it a few times to relieve herself over the rail.

Nancy, is that any better than the coffee can or bucket? Probably not hey?

The head arrangement or lack thereof is the number one reason why many women don't like boating.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Steve Laume

Over board discharge

Post by Steve Laume »

Humm, it is illegal to discharge wastes from the boat. A crew person on board is not considered a part of the boat and there fore it is not an over board discharge in the legal sense? I wonder. I guess there is hanging from the shrouds on the lee side. That sounds a bit tough too. I heard some where that the majority of man over board drowning victims on small boats in fresh water lakes are found with there flys down. Be careful out there and remember the old Jim Croache song, steve.