Seizing on anchor rode

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Seizing on anchor rode

Post by marka »

I've got a couple of hundred feet of braided rode that came with the boat. The metal thing in the eye-splice (where the chain connects) is badly corroded.

I tried to have a rigging guy put an eye-splice with a new metal thing in the other end but he said eye splices in old braided line don't hold.

I'm thinking of using seizing to make an eye-loop instead. I would saturate the seizing in epoxy to keep everything tight.

I figure if seizing is good enough for standing rigging on a gaffer, it's good enough for my anchor.

Anybody see a down-side to this plan?
Mark Abramski
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Seizing on anchor rode

Post by Neil Gordon »

marka wrote:The metal thing in the eye-splice ...
It's a thimble.

I don't know the tecnical specs on seizing vs. a splice in terms of holding power. Think about how chafe would affect a seized line vs. an eye splice.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Tie it on?

Post by Steve Laume »

I have been using and anchor bend to tie the rode to a shackle. It gives you two turns around the shackle to reduce the possibility of chafe. I used it all season and the biggest problem I encountered was a muddy knot. Next year I will retie it in a slightly different place. I have a three strand rode so it would be easy to splice in a thimble but I feel pretty comfortable with my present arrangement. I had a heavy braided rode that came with my boat and changed it to the three strand nylon to allow more stretch. Three strand is nice stuff for and anchor rode, Steve.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Seizing on anchor rode

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi Marka.

and if the rigging man said that the line is old, replace it with new.
and you will not have to do any thing, at all.
just hook it up to the anchor, thats it.

the eye thing is called a thimble...
winthrop

marka wrote:I've got a couple of hundred feet of braided rode that came with the boat. The metal thing in the eye-splice (where the chain connects) is badly corroded.

I tried to have a rigging guy put an eye-splice with a new metal thing in the other end but he said eye splices in old braided line don't hold.

I'm thinking of using seizing to make an eye-loop instead. I would saturate the seizing in epoxy to keep everything tight.

I figure if seizing is good enough for standing rigging on a gaffer, it's good enough for my anchor.

Anybody see a down-side to this plan?
Boyd

Reverse the line

Post by Boyd »

I had a similar situation. I inherited with the boat a couple of hundred feet of really nice braided line but the 10 feet on the anchor end was stiff and the PLASTIC splice eye totally fossilized! Not wanting to give up on a couple of boat units for new line I salvaged it.

First I gave the line a lap through the washing machine to get all the old salt out. Then I cut off the old eye end and taking enough of the stiff line off till I got into good line. I seized that end.

I then reversed the line and put a splice on the end that had been in the locker was close to new condition for the anchor end.

The trick to putting a splice in an old line is to soak the end in a bucket of water with fabric softener over night then let it dry. This restores the slippery character to the fabric so a splice is possible. New line has a lubricant incorporated in it that washes out over time making the line just stiff enough that a splice is not really possible.

I make my own splices using one of the kits so arguing with a rigger over what is possible is not a problem. I can always win an argument with myself.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

If you do get new line, I like 3 strand too, I always use SS thimbles and splice one in at both ends while the line is new and easy.

I'll try the fabric softener trick, sounds like a great idea, thanks
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Line to Chain Splice?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Once you have solved the vagaries of splicing the old line, either with some treatment or replacement, you might consider splicing the line directly to the chain. If you have a windlass, this is a great convenience.

See the following for comments on the tapered back splice: http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies ... splice.htm

For instructions with pictures:
http://www.neropes.com/splice/sp72_3-st ... _chain.htm

For a negative view of the above method:
http://www.neropes.com/splice/sp72_3-st ... _chain.htm

For instructions on the chain/warp splice:
http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

Good luck in getting it all sorted out.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
rtbates

Marka- what's your boat worth?

Post by rtbates »

Bite the bullet and get new anchor line and a book on tying and slicing. Splicing three stranded line is about as simple as you get. You can use the old anchor line for any number of useful things, tow line, dock lines, etc.

Be safe and sure
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Agree with Randy

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Anchor and rode not the items to pinch pennies on.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Chain-to-rode splice is great!

Post by Joe Myerson »

My boat came with a very nice rode (which I mentioned in a thread last year). However the anchor, and the thimble for the splice were in bad shape.

So, I got new ground tackle. Then, after washing the rode thoroughly in cold, fresh water, liquid laundry detergent and rinsing it with fabric softener, I cut off the splice and followed the directions I found on the web for a chain-to-rode splice. (This isn't the simple back splice, but an actually re-weaving of the strands into the first 8 inches of the chain.)

Even though I don't have a windlass, the splice makes it very easy to haul the anchor up using the bow roller. It's a great convenience!

--Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627