Need advice about a fine old mainsail. Dave Hedlund

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dave H

Need advice about a fine old mainsail. Dave Hedlund

Post by Dave H »

Last spring I purchased "Puffin," a 1985 Ty Senior. She came with original handmade sails by Thomas Clark & Co., Essex, Conn. My problem is a wrinkle starting at the clew and going up along the leech. The lowest batten is out, so the wrinkle goes from clew, through the lowest batten pocket, to the inner end of the next batten, then continues up along that line. The slugs are also worn, but otherwise the sail is in very good condition.

The night before my last outting I read that mast bend can cause this type of wrinkle. There were too many things happening in the morning, but I did observe a slight bend, maybe 1.5" deflection. My shrouds and stays are not overly tight, although I do run my spinnacker halyard to the bow pulpit when not in use, and I snug it. Maybe this acts as a secondary forestay.

Questions: 1. I love looking at the fine hand craftsmanship of this sail, but is a 20 year old mainsail too old? 2. Also, I seem to recall advice from John Vigor to offshore sailors not to have a curved leech requiring battens. He recommended a straight leech with no battens. Do you think re-working this leech to straight and battenless could solve my problem? 3. What about my slight mast bend? Am I causing my wrinkle by this tuning error?
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Dave, I'm not familiar with the situation you describe but I would recommend you contact Sailcare in Pa.They are most knowledgable, helpful and do a fine job answering questions and reconditioning sails.
(www.sailcare.com)
________
Jailbroken
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rollergirl

It's not the age. It's the milage.

Post by Rollergirl »

I had the same wrinkle in my Ty main when I purchase the boat. The main is blown out (excessively stretched).
Recutting the sail, or replacing the boltrope and leachline will not give you much better performance. And you are paying a high price in control and tiller feel because of the condition of the main.

You could try sending a picture of the main flying to a sailmaker for detailed explanation.

Bill