Synthetic Lubricants

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Clay Stalker

Synthetic Lubricants

Post by Clay Stalker »

I have never used these in my Yanmar diesels, but have some friends who do and are very satisfied...hmmm, I do use synthetics exclusively in my autos (VW and BMW) with great results....so..does anyone out there use synthetics in their diesels? I suppose I could ask the Yanmar Help site guy, but am really more impressed with the knowledge on this board...thanks.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

We've been using Mobil 1...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

... in our Westerbeke 21A, thus far without any problems.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

AMSOIL in W-27A

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Clay,

Nothing I can see has changed. You know it will do what you want by reading the literature and waiting for the engine to NOT fail :-)

F/W, Leo
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Photo Chief
Location: Bristol 27, cove marinaLittle Creek Amphibious BaseNorfolk, Va

Synthetic in Diesels

Post by Photo Chief »

I began using Amsoil in my car and motorcycle engines about 1977 and have used synthetics exclusively ever since. I change oil once a year in the fall. The higher price is offset by the reduced oil changes if you are concerned by the higher price. I have never experienced any engine problems. zilch. nada. No detectible cylinder wear. I used it in an Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel pickup truck for approximately 12 years. I changed oil twice a year in the diesel because of the contaminates specific to diesel combustion. I donated the pickup with the diesel engine at 175,000 miles only because of body rust. The engine was running like the day I bought it new. Some of you may remember that I bought my Bristol in late September. It has a BMW D12 engine and I immediately changed to synthetic oil. I am currently using Castrol Syntec. I intend to change each late fall and early summer. Synthetics have tremendous advantages over regular oils, not least among them is easier cold weather starting and cooler bearing temperatures, but I leave it to the users to do the research themselves to be convinced. When I initially began using in 1977 Amsoil was the only maker of synthetic. Now the big guys are in the game. Amsoil has a complete line of synthetic products but it is expensive up front.
Rich Collins
USN Ret
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Why?

Post by Mike »

Maybe I'm missing something but I thought that the advantage of synthetic oil was a longer useful life resulting in fewer oil changes.

The owners manual for my 4 cylinder Yanma recommends changing the oil and filter every 150 hours. I change them every 100 hours.

In the past a normal 3-5 month sailing season wouldn't add up to an additional 100 hours on the engine and so I changed the oil and filter every fall as part of the winter layup. This was true for my current Saga and previous Cape Dory's.

Are you actually using the engine enough each season to justify the additional cost of synthetics or are you not changing the oil every fall?
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,

I have been using only synthetics since approx. 1976 in all my cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats. I change oil once a year, in the summer for vehicles and on haul out (OR 100 engine hours whichever is first) for the boats.

My goal was to bring engine wear as close to zero as possible. After discussing with mechanics and reading up on it I’m convinced this is the way to go.

“Synthetics have tremendous advantages over regular oils, not least among them is easier cold weather starting”

I have noted the easy of winter starting also. This may not be a real big issue for sailboats, but while I was working in Canada the spring and fall morning sailing could be COLD!

Mike,

Re: “Are you actually using the engine enough each season to justify the additional cost of synthetics or are you not changing the oil every fall?”

On the contrary, for sailboat engines this is even more important. During engine start-up your engine gets the most wear. The lower the viscosity, the easier the oil will flow, preventing the metal-to-metal contact. When I first shifted from petroleum base to synthetic I could hear the reduction in tappet and rod noise.

Read up on it – you’ll never go back :D
Fair Wind,
Leo
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Mike

Post by Mike »

So, I' hearing that the advantage is less engine wear and easier cold weather starting rather than longer intervals betwee oil changes...you still change every 100 hours. Cold weather starting isn't an issue for me and besides I've always used 10W40 lube oil.

Are you saying that synthetics drain slower to the sump or come up faster and that results in less engine wear thus justifying the additional cost.
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Mike,

Take a look at this info at the Mobil1 web site. It shows the benefits of synthetics (specifically, their products).

Cathy
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Engine oil analysis

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Has anyone who has had an engine oil analysis done on a regular basis noticed a change in the analysis after a switch to synthetic oil? I would expect a reduction in wear related trace metals if the synthetic actually does reduce wear. I was contemplating changing to synthetic but some preliminary searching of posts on Hansen Marine diesel board contains some warnings about switching to synthetics with older engines.

I had an engine oil analysis done on Quest when she was hauled last fall. A couple of readings were slightly high (I don't have it with me and don't recall which elements). I'll probably go one more season with regular oil and see if the readings change at all.

ATTENTION, ATTENTION, ATTENTION, This possibly an "unworthy" post. I have done no in depth research, its contents are totally off the top of my head and is dependent on the accuracy of my failing memory. I may also be lying through my teeth. Use at your own risk.
Last edited by Joe CD MS 300 on Jan 18th, '06, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cathy,

Thank you for the link, I've looked at it. My problem is that I'd like something quantitative that justifies the additional costs either in longer intervals between oil changes or verifiable reductions in engine wear.

I've sent an Email to Mack Boring, a Yanmar Distributor to see what they have to say on the subject. Whatever answer I get I'll post on this board.

Mike
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
rtbates

switching to SYN and older motors

Post by rtbates »

The problem most mentioned is leaking. Usually from seals.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Clay Stalker

Mike - That would be Helpful

Post by Clay Stalker »

Mike:

I will await the response from Mack Boring. The guy from England on the Yanmarhelp website advises against the use of synthetics in Yanmars, but I still wonder if this is based on old bias's. Years ago, most hard core mechanics were staunchly opposed to synthetics...they didn't trust them etc....but they have proven to be superior in all aspects in all kinds of engines, so I cannot help but wonder why not in Yanmars as well....

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Dean Abramson

Engine Oil Analy$i$

Post by Dean Abramson »

Can someone tell me what that typically costs?
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Ed Haley

Breaking-in qualities

Post by Ed Haley »

I'm about to install an engine in my CD330 next month. I was wondering if the qualities of synthetic oil in the crankcase (low wearing on moving parts) would have any effect on the seating of piston rings and bearings. Would the breaking-in period be extended? Or is it a reason not to use synthetic oil in new engines. We all agree that abnormal wear should be avoided but there are times when wear is necessary.

Also, will ordinary oil filters work with synthetic oil? It would seem the wear particles would be smaller. I've emailed a few companies and I'm waiting for a response.
Photo Chief
Location: Bristol 27, cove marinaLittle Creek Amphibious BaseNorfolk, Va

Synthetic in Diesels

Post by Photo Chief »

The most attractive selling point for synthetics to the average car owner is the 25,000 mile/one year oil change. Few are really concerned about the ancillary benefits such as cold weather starting, reduced friction and wear, reduced bearing temperatures, reduced sludging, etc.

Diesels tend to produce more combustion byproducts (soot) which loads the oil with contaminants. Thus in high use products like diesel powered cars and trucks one cannot extend the oil change to any great extent. However, in your typical sailboat the diesel engine does not approach sufficient operating hours to seriously contaminate the oil. Still, I intend to change twice a year in my BMW engine because I enjoy messing around in my boat.

Lastly, synthetics were developed for jet engines because organic oils could not withstand the high temperature environments of jets. Some have reversed the facts and somehow infer that organic oils are superior and synthetics are to be distrusted. This has gradually changed over the last thirty years as seen by how many on this site and elsewhere now swear by them.

Really lastly: ten thousand people change to synthetic oil and one gets an oil leak some time later and blames it on the oil. I can commiserate but it is not good science IMHO.

O'K this is it: Lets look at costs-- my BMW uses approximately 1.5 quarts of oil. So thats $4.50 x 1.5 = $6.75 for synthetic and $1.25 x 1.5 = $1.88 for a difference of .... $4.87. Since most of us have spent many thousands on our toys, I can justify $4.87. She deserves the very best. Your results may vary. :wink:
Rich Collins
USN Ret