Cape Dory 25 with TRAILOR $4,000.00 Rhode Island

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JoeL.

Cape Dory 25 with TRAILOR $4,000.00 Rhode Island

Post by JoeL. »

1977 Cape Dory 25 with trailor for sale. Been sitting in yard for over a year, so it needs cosmetic cleaning and brightwork. Average condition with average sails. Trailer is good for hauling to boat yard for launch and picking up from boat yard and storing boat for winter. I would not make any trips with it for any great distance.

Have new baby and have switched to power boat for the next few years - have two boats in yard - wife not happy - nobody happy.

Boat located in Bristol, Rhode Island.

email me at joe@joehlawson.com if interested
JoeL.

Questions & Answers

Post by JoeL. »

I do have photos, but do not know how to post them here - I will e-mail them to you if you live near by and are interested.

Instead of answering 75 e-mails with the same questions, I thought this may help:

"Do you have any pictures? Would the trailer make it to the north shore of Boston? Very interested." -

Here are some pictures that I have. I brought the trailer to Bristol Rhode Island from the Cape - had no problems. I would have it serviced first. It could make it to Alaska and back for all I know, I'm just saying it's an old trailer and I have no idea what it will do.

"How big a hurry are you to get the boat out of your yard??? We just left Boston and won't be back until April. If we bought the boat now, is storage until April an option? Our plan is/was to drive our Ty to MA in April, but 17 hours with the Ty's trailer seems precarious!

Is the jib hank on or roller furling? Our first boat came "unfurnished". No gear whatsoever. What "stuff" comes with Bob?" -

I'd rather move the boat as soon as possible. If I had until April, I'd put some time and a couple hundred dollars into the boat and get quite a bit more for her.

The jib is hank on. There are (I think) four jibs (storm, regular [sorry, I don't know all the terms], 110 and a 150) all in pretty food shape. The main is, from what I can tell, the original. It has a few tape patches, but hasn't let me down. If I were going to replace one sale, it would be the main.

It has a dodger in fair condition, could do with some new canvas. I took it off, but I still have the canvas and frame.

Porta-Potty.

All of the cushions were recovered a year before I bought it, about 4 years ago. I pulled them out to air out and they were rained on. I don't know if the foam inside will dry out or if it needs to be replaced.

There is a VHF Radio that was new when I bought it, and I have never used it. There's also an AM/FM Cassette (which I would replace).

There is an exhaust blower in the lazerette so you don't have to keep it open with the motor running. Blower fan may need replacing, they usually last a season or two.

Boat comes with a 1986 (I think) Johnson Sailmaster motor with an alternator and a couple of fuel tanks.

NOT INCLUDED at this price, is a new Nissan 6hp 4 stroke long shaft exhaust-through-prop (has about 10 hours on it) that hums like a sewing machine and can run all day long with the lazerette lid closed and no exhaust fan. This cost about $1,500.00 - I'd include it for another $1,000.00. Otherwise I'm just as happy keeping it.

Other misc stuff.

"A few more questions?

What if any cushions are there?
What is the condition of the interior?
Any deck leaks?
Is the deck painted or original gelcoat?
Are the topsides painted or original gelcoat?
Are all of the hatch covers, seat covers, etc. present?
What does the boat need to have done to it?" -

All cushions are present and covers are in great shape - I pointed out in previous e-mail that some got wet (soaked).

I don't know of any issue with the interior, been sitting, could use some paint and spiffing up.

No deck leaks, but hatch leaks. Screws (on wooden rails on top of hatch) need to be taken out and resealed.

I believe deck has been painted. I believe topside is gelcoat (don't know if it's the original).

Everything is present, except fuel line - I kinked it and put a hole in it while taking it out of the water last year (2004). Get a fuel line, and you could put it in the water tomorrow and go.

As far as I know, the boat only needs a fuel line (from plastic tank to motor) - ACTUALLY THE FUEL LINE WAS FOR THE NISSAN, SO NEVER MIND (unless you want the Nissan) and some cleaning and wood refinishing. A lot of the rigging is also new (couple of years old).

I love the boat and wish I could keep it. It would be perfect for me and my boy in about 4 or 5 years. But it's just not practical to have it stored and let it set up that long.

"I have contacted several surveyors in your area for a quote on a survey. I am assuming that you do not have a recent survey. Please let me know if you do!" -

I have never had a survey on the boat. When I bought it, a friend and experienced sailor went with me to look at it.

Just remember, the boat, as advertised, is average. Trailer is no prize. If everything were perfect, or even really nice, it would be a lot more. Fixers start around 5000 with no trailer, really nice 25s are 7000 to 10000. A new trailer is over 4000 by itself. Mine is $4,000.00 for the whole shebang - firesale blowout. Don't expect perfection here.

Thanks for your interest - I hope it something that fits your need and that you and your family will enjoy.

"What else come with the boat, Motor?, electronics, gear etc. What is the Hull #.

What are the four nuts for coming out of the transom ?

What shape is the interior in, any pictures ?" -

For this price, the boat comes with a 1986 Johnson 9hp Sailmaster with alternator. I have a new Nissan 6hp 4 stroke exhaust through prop with 10 hours on it that I would throw in for $1,000.00 (retails around $1,500.00). Boat has all of the “normal” gear – I used the boat regularly until I took it out at the end of the 2004 season. Has a dodger in ok condition, I took it off but still have the canvas and the frame. Has main sail cover, four different size jibs, original main with some patches. Don’t have the hull # with me. Four nuts used to hold on a swim ladder (I was told). Interior is like exterior, been sitting for over a year, could use some spiffing up, paint. Cushion Covers are fairly new, a couple got soaked when I laid them out to air out – I don’t know if they will dry or if the foam will need to be replaced.

Boat is what it is – average shape – been sitting for over a year. That’s why it is so cheap. I could put a few days work and a couple hundred dollars into the boat and trailer and probably get another $3,000 for it – just don’t have the inclination or the time. Who ever buys the boat is getting a good deal and will need to put a little work into getting her back into really good shape.

"...I would be interested if the price included shipping it to Ohio..."

{this one I didn't even respond to - for this price, I would not ship it across the street.}
JoeL.

Post by JoeL. »

Still for sale.