Westerbeke 21a rear oil seal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

laustin

Westerbeke 21a rear oil seal

Post by laustin »

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready ( this Monday) to order a new rear oil seal and gasket. Question... Is there anything else I should order and replace while I'm in there?

Thanks.
Larry
CD30MKII
LAYLA
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Larry, if your engine has more than 1500 hrs. check the damper plate. you may find it needs to be replaced.
Zeida
Boyd

21A rear seal

Post by Boyd »

HI all:

A few years ago I had lower engine oil leaks. At first I thought that I needed to replace my rear crank seal since this was the area where the oil seemed to originate from. I was vagely aware that the front seal and oil pan gasket were failing also. Since the rear is such a pain to access I decided to just do the front and oil pan and wait till some other opportunity to do the rear. After replacing the front seal it seems that the rear has stopped leaking. What was happening was the oil from the small leak at the front seal was traveling down the sides of the oil pan on the edges of the gasket and ending up at the same place under the bell housing as a leak from the rear seal would. While taking off the front pully was a real challenge I would suggest you check out the front seal first since its relatively more accessable. Replacing the oil pan gasket (I used a lot of RTV silicone) and the front crank seal has virtualy stopped the oil leaks. I get a single drip about every 15 hours now. Sure hope I dont have to change the rear seal ever.

Changing the oil frequently seems to help also. New oil leaks less than old.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
laustin

Thank you both , Zeida and Boyd for your replys......

Post by laustin »

Zieda , thanks for that tip.... I will order damper plate "if" I end up replacing the "rear" seal. My engine is pushing 1000 hours.

Boyd, I went over to the boat today , checked under the front oil seal, and sure enough there has been a slight stream of oil running down from the front seal to the oil pan gasket and back down to the rear of the engine. Isn't this board just amazing !! You might have just saved me many many hours of labor... Thank you very much for that "tip".

I will order a front seal tomorrow and replace....

Thank you both for the replys

Larry Austin
CD30MKII
LAYLA