Black Pearl Taking on Water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Black Pearl Taking on Water

Post by Will Wheatley »

Saw this in the Washingtonpost but half you guys are probably watching the Volvo Ocean Race on the web huh?

Cracks appeared in the Keel Casing, they do not know how serious it is but they say the flow of water is manageable at this time. They are deep in the Southerrn Ocean and thats not a place to be with questionable equipment. I hope they make it

Happy Sailoring,
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Is there a chase boat as a safety back-up?

Post by John D. »

The thought I read that the Volvo Ocean Race organizers chartered a boat from the Vendee Globe to follow the racers.

Apparently another sailboat was the best choice, because (except for navy s hips) fast powerboats can't carry enough fuel, and long-range powerboats aren't fast enough to keep up.
Mike Johnson

chase boat

Post by Mike Johnson »

there is no chase boats for the Volvo Ocean Race. There are inport boats, but no chase boat. The Black Pearl is sailing under reduced sail, limiting cant of the keel to 20 degrees, sailing at about %80 speed. They are concerned about the wind shift expected on Sunday, but for now, they are pressing on. The Volvo 70's are pushing the limits of offshore sailing and the boats sacrifice strength for speed in an effort to sail the fine line of design limits. Paul Cayard is concerned but confident that the present conditions, though serious, are not a safety concern.
Mike Johnson

status as of the 15th

Post by Mike Johnson »

Pirates are sailing at about 14kts, in 4th place and closing on the leaders because they got caught in a high a pressure system. here is Paul Cayards latest email:

Sent: 14 January 2006

To: Duty Officers

Well, it is Saturday the 14th where we are and the crew are all talking about how the keel "made it". Some of my guys are pretty concerned. I am starting to be more comfortable with the advice that we are receiving from our designers that our damage does not affect the critical elements of the keel structure.

We are up to about 90% of full speed. We should compress into the lead three boats starting tomorrow as they reach lighter winds. The out look for after we round eclipse Island is for east winds around 20 knots so the course will be up wind. We will have to see how comfortable we are in those conditions when we get there.

It is starting to smell like a kennel onboard. There is no time when you can go on deck and not get wet pretty much to the skin so there are a lot of wet clothes and socks laying around that are starting to smell pretty bad.

Our Real Expedition freeze dried food is still pleasing everyone so that is a good sign. Usually everyone gets pretty fed up with the food whatever it is after two weeks. We are losing weight through, at least I am. All those rolls that I had justified as necessary stores for three weeks at sea are finally shedding themselves.

That is all for now.

Paul Cayard

Pirates of the Caribbean
Mike Johnson

Pirates heading for port

Post by Mike Johnson »

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/news/arti ... index.aspx

they took 4th around the mark and then reported ram failed and are heading to port.