CNG oven

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

CNG oven

Post by Steve Laume »

After a season with the boat we only tried to using the oven once. Of course it did not work and I forgot all about it. I was down at the boat today and figured I might try it again. The gas is on and the stove top works fine. I followed the directions and the pilot lights and stays on. When I turn up the temp control nothing happens. The pilot is still lit but I get no gas to the oven burner. Every thing is spotlessly clean as if it had never been used. Is there some thing obvious that I could be missing? It would be nice to be able to bake and broil some times, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Steve, it takes a few moments for the pilot to ignite the oven burner. I don't believe that the gas begins to flow until a certain temperature is reached at the burner. Have you waited long enough?

The oven works fine on RESPITE. Come aboard and join us when the brownies are fresh and still hot.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where compressed natural gas doesn't always come from steel cylinders), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Same problem

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Steve, I have the same problem with Quest's CNG oven. I only bought her last year so I haven't had much time to figure it out yet myself even though my sons tried quite a bit enroute to Boothbay Harbor from Marion. The puzzling thing is that the pilot light is on. Do you know the make of your oven? I forget ours and Quest is 450 miles away. I'd like to try and find a manual online if possible.

Joe Mair
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Boy, some of those brownies sound good and might even increase the availability of natural gas. If I could just get the oven working. I have left the pilot on for an extended period of time. I have also tried lighting the burner with a BQ lighter. For some reason I do not get flow to the burner. The fact that the pilot lights seems to rule out a missed valve or line blockage. That leaves the temperature control or mabe the little thermostat that would shut off the gas when the Temp in the oven reaches the preset Temp. I didn't receive any information along with the ships papers relating to the stove. My stove has only a little plate on the left side to identify it. I know I should have written it down but it is Gas line or Gas something. Fixing things is the easy part, knowing what to fix is tough, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I'm pretty sure the stove is a "TASCO". Try contacting them (solenoid??).

Good luck,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where no one is safe--the legislature is in session),MD

http://www.tauntonstove.com/contact/
CDSOA Founding Member
Craig Curtis
Belmont Harbor, Chicago IL

Post by Craig Curtis »

I had the exact same problem with my oven, a TASCO. The stove top worked fine, the pilot would light but the gas wouldn't flow down to the burners. Like yours, there was no blockage as I could light the burner manually but the over would shut off shortly thereafter with the temperature never exceeding around 150 degrees.

Per my yard's suggestion, I had the thermostat replaced and the problem was solved.

Best Regards,

Craig Curtis
1990 Cape Dory 40 "Coalescence"
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Frank Vernet

What model TASCO in a CD33?

Post by Frank Vernet »

I ripped out our old one approx. 2 years ago and cannot recall whether it was a 2 or 3 burner! It begins already :cry:

T51006 550LP-BLG Stainless top, black glass door (2 burner)
T52006 555LP-BLG Stainless top, black glass door (3 burner)

Thanks in advance.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier